Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
I just got my Nexus 7 3G and I must say the honeymoon with this device is cutting pretty deep.

Now don't get me wrong. I am absolutely not saying the Nexus is better, because it definitely is not. The iPad offers better graphics, better applications, better Eco system. Its just better in a large number of ways.

Where the Nexus gets me is:
Its good enough in the areas it loses.
It excels in the areas it wins.

Those areas are few but vital.
For one, it fits in my pants. I can literally take it everywhere I go without trouble. The iPad mini was cute, convenient and much more used than my iPad full but it wasn't small enough to justify the downgrade so it went to Craig's List. The Nexus 7 is small enough to be a solid alternative to a big tablet but big enough to be useful as one.

For two, no fuss rooting process. I'm jail broken on 6.1.2 and while being jail broken opens a lot of doors and essentially changes iOS as a system, the Nexus 7 comes standard with a lot of the features I would have to jailbreak to receive. Sideloading applications, accessible file system, widgets, customizable interface.

I love my iPad but I feel like its going to gather dust because I can literally take my Nexus 7 everywhere. I've been using it to make phone calls and the quality isn't bad using Talkatone.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If the N7 gives you everything that's important to you and the apps that you want are not a problem on android then sell the iPad.

RetepNamenots

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2009
Yep, I sold my iPad (3rd Generation) for a Nexus 7. Made a bit of money in the process, and it does everything that I used my iPad for plus.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I got a 7 inch IdeaPad, I would get an iPad but not at the moment, ICS is alright but has some issues including audio being low, my iPhone on medium volume is still louder!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.