Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
I'm on my second Mighty Mouse after returning the first, but the second is having the same problem. Seems that it's easy for dirt and stuff to get into the track button, which makes scrolling around occasionally seize up. My workspace isn't that dirty, but I'm wondering if this is a common problem. Is there a way to open the thing up and clean it?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It is a common problem.

I seem to remember iGary managed to open up his Mighty Mouse by running it over with his car - not sure if there's an easier way.

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
i just flip it upside down and smash the ball in to the mouse pad and move it around a bunch... it seems to clean it out... or at least dislodge the crap that is building up inside..

occasionally I wet a microfiber cloth with lcd cleaning fluid and clean the ball

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
The Mighty Mouse is complete and utter rubbish I'm surprised that Apple is still peddling this piece of crap. It's the Windows XP to Apple.

I got one with my Mac Mini and it never worked, I sent it back to Apple so they gave me another one and the replacement NEVER worked either. So I bought a Logitech Laser Mouse instead. When I bought my new 20" iMac the Might Mouse's first destination was to the bin and so I treated myself to a Logitech G5 Laser Mouse.

I'd rather if Apple never made this piece of crap, it's a waste of time, effort and money. Please Apple take this dismal product off the Apple Store.

DeadSirius

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Mine came with my Mac Pro (thus the reason I bring it up on this forum). I seem to be able to "fix" it by mashing down on the button really hard and rolling it around a bit. But I can't help but picture a pile of ground dirt building up in there that can only cause big trouble later on...

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
There are numerous mice out there..... I highly recommend purchasing one....

The best use for a Mighty Mouse is tying it to the boat anchor on the weekend fishing trip and watching it sink.....

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
well, I know it could have.. if i had used it long enough...

The mouse itself just felt VERY uncomfortable... After a few tries wtih it, and then discovering that you can not press the "primary" and "secondary" mouse buttons at once, I decided to junk it...

I replaced it with an MX-1000 from Logitech... a Very nice mouse IMO.... After my son decided HE liked the MX-1000 more than me, I got a Logitech G7

I encouraged my in-laws to purchase iMac's as well, and when each did, I gifted them with a better mouse in order to AVOID having anyone come back to me and tell me I recommended junk :) (Yes, I think that little of the mighty mouse....)

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
if anyone is planning on throwing it away, they are sure welcome to just send it to me. I like them personally. ;)

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Are there a lot of mouses that have the 360 scroll ball. I like that feature a lot in iMovie.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
The Mighty Mouse is complete and utter rubbish I'm surprised that Apple is still peddling this piece of crap. It's the Windows XP to Apple.

I got one with my Mac Mini and it never worked, I sent it back to Apple so they gave me another one and the replacement NEVER worked either. So I bought a Logitech Laser Mouse instead. When I bought my new 20" iMac the Might Mouse's first destination was to the bin and so I treated myself to a Logitech G5 Laser Mouse.

I'd rather if Apple never made this piece of crap, it's a waste of time, effort and money. Please Apple take this dismal product off the Apple Store.

I personally like the MM's features (scroll ball, side squeeze buttons, and that it looks nice), but in terms of comfort, I still like my old microsoft mouse. I think the problem is that the mouse is too flat.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I personally like the MM's features (scroll ball, side squeeze buttons, and that it looks nice), but in terms of comfort, I still like my old microsoft mouse. I think the problem is that the mouse is too flat.

I like the features and looks of the Mighty Mouse, but too bad they stop working after a couple of weeks......

What can I say I have never had a problem with either of my Logitech Mice and interms of feature my new Logitech G5 Laser Mouse is far better than any Apple Mouse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.