Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I noticed that there are several kernel extensions in /Library/Extensions that are neither made by Apple nor were they installed by me. I happen to have access to a Snow Leopard partition and I can see that most of these extensions are present in /System/Library/Extensions (except the first two below), but not in El Capitan anymore. I presume that these extensions were moved to /Library/Extensions upon installing El Capitan, given that the System folder is now reserved.

This begs the question: are they no longer needed? They are not actually active ("loaded") on my system. Can anyone verify whether they are there on a pristine El Capitan install?

/Library/Extensions/ACS6x.kext
/Library/Extensions/ArcMSR.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
/Library/Extensions/CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
/Library/Extensions/HighPointIOP.kext
/Library/Extensions/HighPointRR.kext
/Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext
/Library/Extensions/SoftRAID.kext

KALLT

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
In that case I should probably just leave them where they are.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I noticed that there are several kernel extensions in /Library/Extensions that are neither made by Apple nor were they installed by me. I happen to have access to a Snow Leopard partition and I can see that most of these extensions are present in /System/Library/Extensions (except the first two below), but not in El Capitan anymore. I presume that these extensions were moved to /Library/Extensions upon installing El Capitan, given that the System folder is now reserved.

This begs the question: are they no longer needed? They are not actually active ("loaded") on my system. Can anyone verify whether they are there on a pristine El Capitan install?

/Library/Extensions/ACS6x.kext
/Library/Extensions/ArcMSR.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOCelerityFC8.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOExpressSASHBA2.kext
/Library/Extensions/ATTOExpressSASRAID2.kext
/Library/Extensions/CalDigitHDProDrv.kext
/Library/Extensions/HighPointIOP.kext
/Library/Extensions/HighPointRR.kext
/Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext
/Library/Extensions/SoftRAID.kext
Those have all gone into /Library/Extensions since at least 10.10. They are installed by the OS X installer.

Reactions: KALLT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.