Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Having only bought the S4 less than 5 months ago, I had no intention of upgrading to S5.

However I was then surprised by the Always On screen and this week also won a competition which would cover almost 60% of the cost of the S5 with the sale of the S4 making up the rest . . . so it’s decision time.

I currently store full encrypted backups via iTunes which I understand include my Watch and Health data.

With this in mind, if I do make the leap, are the instructions below still the best way to ensure that my new S5 would be setup like my current S4 and have access to my historical Health data, Achievements etc?

Also I’m guessing I’d have to upgrade the S4 to WatchOS 6 before doing the final backup.

—————

The first step is to unpair the old watch from your phone. As part of that, a backup of your watch's information and settings will be created on the phone.

Next, pair your new watch following the normal procedures - launch the Apple Watch app, tap Start Pairing, and align the watch in the viewfinder.

On the following screen it will state "Your Apple Watch Is Paired." From here, tap on Restore from Backup, and you should be given the option of the backup you made when unpairing the old watch. Tap on that.

You will then need to agree with the terms and conditions, as well as enter your Apple ID username and password. Tap through the remaining screens of setting options, including a passcode, and finally it will begin the process of restoring your backup, which may take several minutes.

Once the restore is complete, you will have your new watch set up with all your settings and data

Reactions: BrianSoCal

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Health and Achievement living in your iPhone. If you don't change your iPhone then it'll be transferred to your new watch no matter what. You don't even have to make a watch back up. It depends on you if you want to start anew or stay with old settings.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Health and Achievement living in your iPhone. If you don't change your iPhone then it'll be transferred to your new watch no matter what. You don't even have to make a watch back up. It depends on you if you want to start anew or stay with old settings.

Yes I thought that might be the case. So it’s Watch settings only that transfer with the Watch backup, thanks for the confirmation.

Are the above steps correct (summary below)?

Unpair S4 in this scenario and it will create a backup.

Then pair the S5 as part of initial setup and restore from the S4 backup.

All this after migrating the S4 to WatchOS 6.

Reactions: BrianSoCal

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Yes I thought that might be the case. So it’s Watch settings only that transfer with the Watch backup, thanks for the confirmation.

Are the above steps correct (summary below)?

Unpair S4 in this scenario and it will create a backup.

Then pair the S5 as part of initial setup and restore from the S4 backup.

All this after migrating the S4 to WatchOS 6.

They are correct. You don't have to migrate your S4 to watchOS 6 first if you don't like to do that.

The most important thing about Health and Achievement data though is you should make an iCloud back up on Health as well just in case but I believe you'll know that already.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
I believe that you must also go into Itunes (?) and insure that your phone is using "Encrypted backup", or it won't save your health data. At least I read that here on these forums a while back. It's a one-time setting that carries forward. I can't remember exactly how it's done, but I'm sure that someone on here will be able to point out more specifics.

[EDIT] Found it.
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/encrypt-ios-device-itunes-backups/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.