Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Hi folks,

Later today I will migrate from my old machine on Mojave to new one on Catalina via Time Machine backup + Migration assistant. Am I going to have issues with losing mails, losing music , losing other files or have these things been fixed ? Anything else to watch out for ?

The old machine needs to go to the store ASAP for repairs before I sell it and I'll be wiping it first so I won't have it as a backup.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
No... everything should come over fine as part of the migration. Make sure you do it during the initial system startup vs making a new account and trying to do it later.

Reactions: Peadogie

Peadogie

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2019
Georgia, USA
No... everything should come over fine as part of the migration. Make sure you do it during the initial system startup vs making a new account and trying to do it later.
Emphasis added by me. Also make sure to keep a clone-able backup in case you want to go back to Mojave (you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort). MHO.

Reactions: Weaselboy

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
Well my old machine Photos number 41,626... the new machine photos number 37,173.... so something wacky there. And my Safari passwords didnt' make it ?

Edit: Resolved the photos issue its actually fine. After spending too long mucking about with key hcains i'm gonna have to manually trandfer 307 passwords ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.