Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
I finally replaced my old MacBook Pro Late 2008 with a 5K iMac 2017. I had added additional RAM and replaced the HDD with a 1 TB Samsung Evo 840 SSD. But, actually, I was not using the old MBP very often in the last two years.

I decided to start the new iMac with its clean pre-installed MacOS and to manually migrate all apps and data from the MBP (Mavericks) to the iMac (Sierra). On the old MBP, I have an iPhoto library with >500 GB (mainly JPG photos, some small video clips).

What is the best way to move my entire library, including original as well as edited versions of photos, to the Photos app on my new iMac?

Lando555

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2017
Germany
Thank you. Actually, I didn't know it is possible to continue using iPhoto. I started the App Store app and, obviously, iPhoto is tied to my Apple ID. I can't click die app link to get to the app's page on the App Store but there is an install button on the right.
However, I would like to switch to Photos for some of the new features and the future support. Also, only Photos will play nicely with my iPhone and iPad (and Apple TV).

Of course, I have a complete Time Machine backup of my old MBP (Mavericks). Can I import the iPhoto library from the backup drive to Photos on the new iMac (Sierra)? Will the event folders and the original as well as the edited versions of photos remain as they are in iPhoto? Would it be better to install iPhoto on the new iMac, move the old library there, and then make the upgrade from iPhoto to Photos on the new iMac? I just don't want to mess around with my photo library and cause any issues. So to me this is the most critical part of migrating everything to the new Mac.

Btw: Do you see any issues or have any advice concerning migrating my iMovie library to the new Mac? Hadn't thought of that so far but I guess this is a minor problem, right?

P.S.: Smile like you mean it. ;-)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.