Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
I have some OS 9 sessions that I'm trying to use on an OS X protools rig. The problem is the audio files in the EDL aren't linking to the audio files in the Audio Folder, and any attempt to manually or automatically link them up is not working. From reading around I have gleaned that my issue is due to the fact that my audio files were formatted sd2. This particular format uses resource forks to store a lot of actually important information about the file, and since OS X doesn't use resourse forks anymore, it can't read these files. This seems to ring true, since just as Protools is unable to read these files, Quicktime is also unable to read these files. The problem isn't the files themselves, the data is in there, it's the discrepancy in file systems these files now rest in. Does anyone out there know of a way to translate these old OS 9 resource-forked .sd2 files into non-resource-forked OS X compatible .sd2 files? As of now I'm forked up pretty good.

largearge

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2006
First ???

What Version of Pro Tools are you running on OS 9?

If it 5.3.2 there is an option in the file menu to "save session copy as"

That should bring up a menu of options features such as save session as recent or an older version. Also it should bring up an option to save the files as AIF or WAV's along with sample rate. Once you do that, PT will then creating a brand new folder on your drive with your new session!!

Hope it works!!

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
second :p

Thanks, didn't think it could be so simple, but I figured that hundreds of studios everywhere have had to do it at somepoint in time, so the solution should be out there. Hopefully that is the version of Protools on the OS 9 system. I'm a student now so I'm essentially using what I can get my hands on. The school does OS X and the internship does OS 9. I'll check it out next time I'm in. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.