Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philrock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
I'm starting to migrate from iCloud to Verizon Cloud storage. I figure I can save a few bucks by using the included 600GB instead of paying for the 200GB iCloud.

I feel like I will lose some capabilities in this transition as the Verizon cloud won't be as integrated.

Two main goals here: initial migration then optimized settings to keep photos available on my phone but also backed up to Verizon. Everything else can exist on the free iCloud storage.

My current setup is photo optimization with iCloud as the backup. Have about 85GB of photos on iCloud right now.

As a side note, I periodically backup my phone to my MBP and/or PC.

Appreciate any ideas, feedback, experiences. Thank you.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
So to clarify, you no longer want to use iCloud Photos, but instead just want to keep local copies of your photos on your phone?

philrock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
So to clarify, you no longer want to use iCloud Photos, but instead just want to keep local copies of your photos on your phone?
Yes, on my phone and the Verizon cloud. Ideally I would limit what is kept on my phone. I'm looking to see if there is a way to only keep a fixed period or number of photos then have them auto delete from my phone but be saved in the cloud. The Verizon cloud does live backups whenever on wifi

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Yes, on my phone and the Verizon cloud. Ideally I would limit what is kept on my phone. I'm looking to see if there is a way to only keep a fixed period or number of photos then have them auto delete from my phone but be saved in the cloud. The Verizon cloud does live backups whenever on wifi
There isn't a way to limit the number of photos or auto-delete on your phone via the Photos app. It sounds like once you're up and running with the Verizon cloud, you'll simply disable iCloud photos.

This Apple support article explains what happens when you turn off iCloud Photos:

Reactions: philrock

philrock

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2015
Ventura, CA
Thanks @Namara I kind of figured as much. I was hoping for a hack 🤷‍♂️ Seems pretty straight forward I guess.

I suppose once I have a few good backups I can go in and manually delete photos periodically. I'll poke around iTunes, maybe i can do it while syncing.

Reactions: 0128672
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.