Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonchilddave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
I have a mid-2012 MBP that I just installed a new SSD in (and while I was at it, loaded a fresh copy of 10.13 on). So right now, the internal SSD just has 10.13 and an administrator account. My old HD is in an enclosure and hooked in via USB.

I'd like to have my main account on a separate drive (as it has a huge iTunes library that won't fit on the new SSD I just installed). Is it possible to use Migration Assistant to pull in my old user account but have it on the external drive? If not, what's the best way to accomplish this? The admin account is on the SSD, so if anything goes bad on the external with my main account I can still log in and work.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I think this describes what you want to do: https://www.macworld.com/article/1164891/mac-apps/keeping-mac-os-and-data-on-separate-drives.html

But If I were you I’d move your user folder to your new built-in SSD via Migration Assistant and uncheck music. Just use the drive for your iTunes library. You could even partition it and use it as a library / Time Machine backup. Having a user folder on an external makes me nervous—I’d be scared losing data should the drive get disconnected.

Reactions: jimthing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.