Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tudoapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
I backed up 11 years old MacBook Air High Sierra with TimeMachine. Connected hard drive to new MacBook Air and started that. It found TimeMachine and did all that work well. Then started new MacBook Air with Monterey. Old user appears and asks password. It does not work.
I tried cmd+r. That does not work it just starts. It seems that that what ever button I push it starts MacBook Air and asks password.

What can I do?

Last edited:

tudoapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
I found how to reset password in this new Apple Silicon chip. This was very different than Intelbased. That worked so case closed.

tudoapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2019
If you tell us what you did to resolve your problem, it may help someone else who has the same problem.......
Well, Intel based cmd+r took you to terminal, but new Apple Silicon chip M1 that does not work. You have shut down MB and then press power button as long as there comes screen where you can choose settings. There is on menu applications and you can find there terminal. In terminal window you type: resetpassword
it open new window. Then you can give new password or same as it originally was. Then you need to confirm this with your Apple ID. Restart MB and that's it.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2020
Well, Intel based cmd+r took you to terminal, but new Apple Silicon chip M1 that does not work. You have shut down MB and then press power button as long as there comes screen where you can choose settings. There is on menu applications and you can find there terminal. In terminal window you type: resetpassword
it open new window. Then you can give new password or same as it originally was. Then you need to confirm this with your Apple ID. Restart MB and that's it.

Glad you got it sorted! ?

Many thanks for the tip

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.