Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I'm trying to understand the geometry of charging an Apple Watch with a Milanese loop. Do you stick the puck between the strap and the base so that they form a sandwich? Do you take the strap off? How do you do it?!

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Would sir be interested in a charging stand?

That's a good question, but doesn't the loop hang awkwardly from such stands? It's basically a metal chain.

Plus I haven't seen many stands I like, and certainly not ones easily available in the UK.

SirGravy

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2015
I'm trying to understand the geometry of charging an Apple Watch with a Milanese loop. Do you stick the puck between the strap and the base so that they form a sandwich? Do you take the strap off? How do you do it?!

I undo one of the band sides from the socket and then keep it draped across my Apple Watch box and have the puck under it. Don't have a picture as I am at work; I do use the sport strap to do the same thing which works easier as it is lighter. If I leave the puck on and both bands on the magnet sorta sticks to everything and every link it can come close to.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
That's a good question, but doesn't the loop hang awkwardly from such stands? It's basically a metal chain.

Plus I haven't seen many stands I like, and certainly not ones easily available in the UK.

You could close the band before placing the watch on the stand, so that the ends don't hang down (although I'd find that too much of a hassle).

Otherwise a good option for your model (if you're concerned about metal on metal contact) might be a wooden stand. There's a Navitech on Amazon UK at £39 incl. delivery:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech®-Apple-Charging-Station-Platform/dp/B00UI2UDA2

I have a DODOcase on order from the US (at a lower pre-order price):

http://www.dodocase.com/products/apple-watch-charging-stand

----------

Or this, if you don't like the idea of a hanging band?

http://www.elevationlab.com/products/night-stand

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
The loop is flexible. Put the puck under the watch as normal and just set it down. The loop will move to the right shape.

Doesn't it turn into a magnetic mess? And aren't you worried about the metal base of the charger scratching the strap?

----------

Amazon UK[/url]

Some good tips: thanks. I see there's a few stands on Amazon UK: I'll have a look around.

timize

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I place my watch in the groove where the watch naturally lays in the box it came in. I then shape the loop into the shape of a band and place the charging puck on the back of the watch.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I place my watch in the groove where the watch naturally lays in the box it came in. I then shape the loop into the shape of a band and place the charging puck on the back of the watch.

Not a bad solution. I quite like the idea of using the box.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Some good tips: thanks. I see there's a few stands on Amazon UK: I'll have a look around.

You're welcome - good luck with your search! :)

I think the right stand (which is as personal a choice as the watch) can really enhance the overall ownership experience.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I use the Spiegen stand. There are nicer stands but this one was only $20 and works well.

3095d028c75f5cfc8ab32892cec46e94.jpg

----------

Not a bad solution. I quite like the idea of using the box.

This is what I was doing before I got my stand.

iConnected

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2011
Why spend extra money on a stand when the original box does the job?

If it will give you, personally, greater pleasure in daily use :)

"Pleasure" also includes how it looks when not in use (eg attractive stand vs empty box).

Some people also prefer a stand with a smaller footprint than the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.