Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fogelface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
I have a Mini 2.53 I'm using as a HTPC and It's great. I also have a 17" MBP 2.66 which never leaves my desk. I do mostly photo editing. Anyone know if I'm gonna see much difference if I slim down to just the Mini? I'm thinking of selling the MBP for the cash.
Also, I can run my dual Apple 23" Displays on the mini and cant on the MBP.

Thanks

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Well, the MBP has dedicated GPU, but RAM is more important in PS. Just get 4GB and you'll notice no difference

mingoglia

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2009
If you have the 17" you could get a video card for the Express slot and then run dual monitors. I haven't personally done that but I have had that idea kicking around in the back of my head.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
California
I have a Mini 2.53 I'm using as a HTPC and It's great. I also have a 17" MBP 2.66 which never leaves my desk. I do mostly photo editing. Anyone know if I'm gonna see much difference if I slim down to just the Mini? I'm thinking of selling the MBP for the cash.
Also, I can run my dual Apple 23" Displays on the mini and cant on the MBP.

Thanks

Well, the MBP has dedicated GPU, but RAM is more important in PS. Just get 4GB and you'll notice no difference

Yes, really the only difference is the dedicated GPU. If you want your Mac Mini to be faster, upgrade the hard drive to this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Hitachi/Y0A72335/ or buy a SSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.