Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hberg

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Overland Park, KS
I know that I can order the Mac Mini 2.66GHz online, but I am curious if anyone knows if you could walk in to an Apple Store and purchase a 2.66GHz Mac Mini?

(I know I could call or go by the store, but I thought I might be able to get an answer here while I am working.)

Thank you in advance for any pertinent information.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Usually they only have the base model in the store.

Are you sure?

The reason why I ask is because I know they have the 'original specifications' for each model in the store, but there could be various models available.

For example, you won't find the 2.4GHz Mini with upgraded RAM/HDD, but they may offer both the 2.4GHz and 2.66GHz models in the 'standard' configuration available.

I'm pretty sure I've seen different configurations available for MBPs in the store.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Apple only stocks base SKUs.

The non-server mini with 2.4GHz? That's the base SKU. That's in stores.
The non-server mini with the 2.66GHz? That's a CTO. That's not in stores.
The server mini with the 2.66GHz? That's a base SKU. That's in stores.

For instance, there are 6 different MacBook Pros you can buy in an Apple Store. 2 of each size. If you want customization beyond that, you must CTO.

Jawnathin

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009
Gotcha. Sorry, I thought the OP was asking for the Server version, not the base 2.4 upped to 2.66. Then I thought the reply afterwards was saying that only the 2.4 was available and the server version was from the online store.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Why dont you call the apple store and ask? Different apple stores always carries different models and you'd be surprised.

IMO they have the base model and the server model only.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Can they order one in for you if they haven't got it there?

No. They'll tell you to go to Apple.com. Or they'll tell you to call the Apple phone number where you can place a CTO over the phone. Or they'll have you come to a store in person, sit you in front of a computer, and have you go to apple.com/macmini and create an order as you would at home.

Apple Retail Stores only carry the base SKUs. They do not carry custom options. They will not install customer-supplied hardware. They WILL upgrade RAM for you, but you'll pay even more than if you CTOd it off the website. They will not upgrade any other component for you aside from memory, and again, them upgrading the memory in the store will probably be $50-100 more than a CTO on Apple.com.

It's like the 27" iMac. Do they carry Core i7s in store? No. Only the i5. If you want an i7, CTO. The reason is because the base SKU is an i5.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
No. They'll tell you to go to Apple.com. Or they'll tell you to call the Apple phone number where you can place a CTO over the phone. Or they'll have you come to a store in person, sit you in front of a computer, and have you go to apple.com/macmini and create an order as you would at home.

Apple Retail Stores only carry the base SKUs. They do not carry custom options. They will not install customer-supplied hardware. They WILL upgrade RAM for you, but you'll pay even more than if you CTOd it off the website. They will not upgrade any other component for you aside from memory, and again, them upgrading the memory in the store will probably be $50-100 more than a CTO on Apple.com.

It's like the 27" iMac. Do they carry Core i7s in store? No. Only the i5. If you want an i7, CTO. The reason is because the base SKU is an i5.

I don't know about the Mini, but any Apple store I've been to has had the i7 27" iMac, and would upgrade the RAM to 8GB for the same price as CTO, or you could buy the RAM do it yourself at home - same price. Also, with MPBs, the highest non-CTO 15" is i7 with standard res glossy screen, but you can get the i7 with high res anti-glare screen at stores. Also, the 17" CTO i7 with anti-glare is available at Apple stores. The standard 17" MPB is i5 with glossy screen.

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
I don't know about the Mini, but any Apple store I've been to has had the i7 27" iMac, and would upgrade the RAM to 8GB for the same price as CTO, or you could buy the RAM do it yourself at home - same price. Also, with MPBs, the highest non-CTO 15" is i7 with standard res glossy screen, but you can get the i7 with high res anti-glare screen at stores. Also, the 17" CTO i7 with anti-glare is available at Apple stores. The standard 17" MPB is i5 with glossy screen.

Never seen this before. And I'm talking about the 3 Apple stores in Boston/Cambridge and the other 5 within 20 miles.

I was in the Boylston Street Boston store (3-stories, glass staircase) yesterday and they still were stock-SKU only.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Never seen this before. And I'm talking about the 3 Apple stores in Boston/Cambridge and the other 5 within 20 miles.

I was in the Boylston Street Boston store (3-stories, glass staircase) yesterday and they still were stock-SKU only.

You mean to say that you've never seen a 15" or 17" MPB with a silver bezel in any of those stores. It's not as obvious with the iMacs. One store I was in didn't have an i7 iMac on the floor, but did have them in stock. I was only at 4 stores, two in Toronto, and one in Ottawa and Buffalo, but all had the i7 iMacs, and hi-res anti-glare 15" and i7 anti-glare 17" MPBs.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
You can call the store and ask if it's in stock. The telephone numbers are on Apple's Retail Store website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.