Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
While I am more than confident that Apple has done their due diligence I do wonder with the power supply now housed internally if heat may be an issue with this new design. Additionally, will it require more active ventilation with a possibly louder fan? Will be interesting to see.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The mini draws very little anyway so the internal psu which many computers have already will be fairly cool in computing terms.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
This kind of giving me flashbacks of failing Time Machine units and their internal power supply. I hope my suspicions are wrong.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
While I am more than confident that Apple has done their due diligence I do wonder with the power supply now housed internally if heat may be an issue with this new design. Additionally, will it require more active ventilation with a possibly louder fan? Will be interesting to see.

Only time will tell.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
this concerns me also, as this is big reason why imacs break down within 2-3 years. with the poor ventilation and low default fan speeds, the imacs are like toasters. in early imac designs, the fan for the hdd would blow hot air right over the psu, which would cause it to overheat and shut down. i think they resolved this design flaw in recent imac models, but they still run too hot imo.

hopefully since the mini draws much less power than the imac, it won't have as many issues caused by heat. the new design supposedly draws in air through vents around the bottom and blows it out the back. but like the previous poster said, only time will tell if this design is viable.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Being such a small PSU I'd imagine it will be fine. I assume the aluminum case should help dissipate heat better than the old plastic casing as well.

Phantom Gremlin

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2010
Tualatin, Oregon
The mini draws very little anyway so the internal psu which many computers have already will be fairly cool in computing terms.

When idle the Mini draws very little power. However, the tech specs say:

Electrical and operating requirements
* Maximum continuous power: 85W​

I sure hope Apple has done better with this box than with some of their earlier attempts. Extracting 85 W out of that little enclosure could be a little tricky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.