Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazinov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Czech Republic
I have been using my reel to reel Tandberg TD20A with my 2012 Mac mini for the past 11 years, without any problem.
Suddenly there is no signal from the audio input. Audio via USB is OK. System preferences/sound/input/line in and output/headphones. All correct as usual.
The source sound is OK, confirmed.
Is it possible that when I removed the 3.5mm line in jack and the Mini was live, the input was overloaded with the 'click'?
Thanks,
Geoffrey

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I have been using my reel to reel Tandberg TD20A with my 2012 Mac mini for the past 11 years, without any problem.
Suddenly there is no signal from the audio input. Audio via USB is OK. System preferences/sound/input/line in and output/headphones. All correct as usual.
The source sound is OK, confirmed.
Is it possible that when I removed the 3.5mm line in jack and the Mini was live, the input was overloaded with the 'click'?
Thanks,
Geoffrey
Not sure how you've been able to use a computer released less than 10 years ago for 11 years; buuut… that is an old computer, and things do wear out.

Unless special circumstances you should just be happy that you can still use it via USB-audio in; or move on and get a newer one.

After you've done the usually basic stuff to try to locate a problem (like making sure the cable is ok, rebooting/reinstalling, and so on) this goes into the type of troubleshooting that most likely is of the "if you have to ask you don't have the skills to perform it"-type; like opening it up and actually checking the hardware itself.

lazinov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Czech Republic
Not sure how you've been able to use a computer released less than 10 years ago for 11 years; buuut… that is an old computer, and things do wear out.

Unless special circumstances you should just be happy that you can still use it via USB-audio in; or move on and get a newer one.

After you've done the usually basic stuff to try to locate a problem (like making sure the cable is ok, rebooting/reinstalling, and so on) this goes into the type of troubleshooting that most likely is of the "if you have to ask you don't have the skills to perform it"-type; like opening it up and actually checking the hardware itself.
Hello Svanstrom,
Thanks for your reply. Well there you are, my memory doesn't extend to 11 years. However, I bought it new and it's a 2012 model, consequently the basic facts are correct.
I probably have the skills but was looking for a common fault or shortcut before I open the Mini up.
If you have the skills and knowledge I would be pleased to have informed suggestions.
Geoffrey

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
I probably have the skills but was looking for a common fault or shortcut before I open the Mini up.
If you have the skills and knowledge I would be pleased to have informed suggestions.
Sorry; I'm not completely clueless, but would have to painfully look everything up. (Honestly, I would probably just have my engineer business partner do it for me. ?)

Hopefully this teardown will help you pre-surgery: https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+mini+Late+2012+Teardown/11262

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the analog out stopped working (could be a faulty cable or port), but if USB still works, then...

... use what works.

lazinov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2021
Czech Republic
These are replies for novices, I am a recording and electronic engineer.
No problem I will open up the device and correct the problem, as I said I was looking for knowledgeable information
to shortcut the process.
Don't let me interrupt your fishing!
Geoffrey

svanstrom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2002
??
These are replies for novices,
The harsh truth is that if you act like a professional you're treated like a professional, but when you show up talking about a decade old computer basically just saying "it stopped working"… well… there isn't much hinting at professional there. And approaching the subject as if decade old computers don't wear out doesn't exactly scream professional engineer either. Sorry. ?

The computer is classified as "vintage", and shouldn't be relied on in a professional setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.