Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Got my wife the new Mini 5 Smart Cover. We don’t have the actual iPad yet.

Contemplating getting her the Apple made silicone back case for the Mini 4.

I know there are minor alignment issues with the back, but what I want to know is, is the new Smart Cover compatible with the old 4 case?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
The Smart Cover isn’t any different from M5 than M4. I have the SC from my M4 on my M5, along with a silicone back cover.
But do you know for sure that the Smart Cover 5 doesn’t have a shorter or longer spine than the 4? I could see Apple making some tweak that would mean the new Smart Cover doesn’t nest into the gap of the old silicone case..

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2017
But do you know for sure that the Smart Cover 5 doesn’t have a shorter or longer spine than the 4? I could see Apple making some tweak that would mean the new Smart Cover doesn’t nest into the gap of the old silicone case..

I do not. I think someone said that the current SC is listed as being compatible with M4 and M5 on Apple web site. Maybe someone who has both an older and a new cover will measure.

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Good point here. the Mini 4 Smart Cover was a tad longer off the side to line up perfectly with the silicone cases did they line it up for the mini 5 since there is no silicone case available?

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Good point here. the Mini 4 Smart Cover was a tad longer off the side to line up perfectly with the silicone cases did they line it up for the mini 5 since there is no silicone case available?

I bought the Charcoal cover for the mini 5 and yes it is slightly narrower than my mini 4 cover, now I know why. If I hadn't tried the new cover I wouldn't have realized there was a difference. It is hardly noticeable.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I bought the Charcoal cover for the mini 5 and yes it is slightly narrower than my mini 4 cover, now I know why. If I hadn't tried the new cover I wouldn't have realized there was a difference. It is hardly noticeable.
Narrower where?

Isn’t there anyone who has the new mini 5 Smart Cover and the mini 4 silicone back cover?

Ellen

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Narrower where?

Isn’t there anyone who has the new mini 5 Smart Cover and the mini 4 silicone back cover?

When attached to the iPad, the mini 5 Smart Cover lines up exactly with the right side of the iPad. The mini 4 version extends beyond the right side ever so slightly - as I said it is hardly noticeable. What was more noticeable to me - and I don’t know if this was just the cover I bought - is that the thin silicone strips between the panels seem a bit thicker on the mini 5 cover compared to the mini 4.

I don’t have a mini 4 silicone back.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
The back silicone cover is not compatible with the Mini 5. It blocks the camera bit and the microphone.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
IMG_5349.jpg
IMG_5348.jpg
I bought the iPhone mini 4 Silicone Case for my iPad mini 5, here are my quick thoughts:
  • Like people have pointed out, the camera hole isn't aligned (see photo). This doesn't impact my ability to take photos with the device.
  • The microphone holes aren't aligned. In a recent FaceTime call, the person on the other line commented about hearing a buzzing noise while the back case was on that disappeared once the case was removed.
  • The volume up/down buttons work with the case on.
  • The power on/off button works with the case on.
  • The headphone jack hole is perfectly aligned.
  • the lightning port/speaker holes are perfectly aligned.
  • iPad mini 5 Smart Cover works perfectly (sleep/wake upon opening), but has a bit of overhang (see photo)
Why I bought it? I Love the OEM case that I could toss into my backpack that protected the device during travel. I rarely use FaceTime or need Microphone input, so keeping the case on 95% of the time doesn't negatively impact me in any significant way.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
View attachment 830915 View attachment 830916 I bought the iPhone mini 4 Silicone Case for my iPad mini 5, here are my quick thoughts:
  • Like people have pointed out, the camera hole isn't aligned (see photo). This doesn't impact my ability to take photos with the device.
  • The microphone holes aren't aligned. In a recent FaceTime call, the person on the other line commented about hearing a buzzing noise while the back case was on that disappeared once the case was removed.
  • iPad mini 5 Smart Cover works perfectly (sleep/wake upon opening), but has a bit of overhang (see photo)
Why I bought it? I Love the OEM case that I could toss into my backpack that protected the device during travel. I rarely use FaceTime or need Microphone input, so keeping the case on 95% of the time doesn't negatively impact me in any significant way.
Nice color combination you got there, and nice write up. I would pull the plunge and get an OEM silicone case as well, but the camera cutout and microphone block is a no no for me.

Reactions: icloud

Josieb1

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
London
I was going to use one on my mini but i’m worried the misaligned volume buttons would be affected if they spend too long in the case where there isn’t an indentation for them. Trust Apple to move the buttons upwards!

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
It works for me. I don't use the camera on the ipad nor do I use it for facetime. Plus I think the camera cut out would be easy enough to make larger and I could drill a mic hole if one was needed.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I read the op. I’m just not recommending it. It’s silly.
Not to be rude but I don’t care what anyone thinks about the silicone case in terms of fit. All I’ve asked, several times now, and all I want to know is, does the new Smart Cover play nice with the old silicone case. No one seems to know, which I understand, but everyone seems to want to reply, which I don’t understand.

VertPin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2015
Not to be rude but I don’t care what anyone thinks about the silicone case in terms of fit. All I’ve asked, several times now, and all I want to know is, does the new Smart Cover play nice with the old silicone case. No one seems to know, which I understand, but everyone seems to want to reply, which I don’t understand.
I believe everyone is replying because your question is a bit specific (but a good one!) and their general recommendation is similar of response of "it's not worth the money, it won't work right". I'm not trying to be rude, sorry if I offended you.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005

I felt I gave a pretty good summary, including photos, in my post a few comments up. Is there anything missing you would like more information on that I could help answer since I have the case on my iPad

mcdj

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I felt I gave a pretty good summary, including photos, in my post a few comments up. Is there anything missing you would like more information on that I could help answer since I have the case on my iPad
Sorry, it wasn't clear from your photos that you own both, and I missed the fact in your reply.

So can you confirm the new Smart Cover has no issues while being used in conjunction with the old silicone case? Your photos seem to only show them being used separately.

Thanks.

Alicia1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Gold Coast, Australia
I have one of the new smart covers and picked up the mini 4 back. Works fine, no issues at all. I will post some pics as soon as I can. Looks much better than the cheap and nasty cases from eBay/amazon

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Sorry, it wasn't clear from your photos that you own both, and I missed the fact in your reply.

So can you confirm the new Smart Cover has no issues while being used in conjunction with the old silicone case? Your photos seem to only show them being used separately.

Thanks.

The Mini 5 Smart Cover has less overhang (it’s flush to the edge of the iPad) than the mini 4 cover (which hangs over a bit).

The only thing this causes is to make the the mini 5 cover slightly harder to lift when the silicone case is attached - but otherwise if fits and works without issue

Reactions: Farrellcollie

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Yeah, if you're going naked back, get a mini 5 Smart Cover as it aligns perfectly. The mini 4 Smart Cover was made to fit perfectly with the smart case silicone back. I have a White mini 5 cover and a Stone/Cocoa combo mini 4 cover/case.

dljor

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2013
regarding the volume buttons, are they pressed by the case all the time? I read they are different size/shape from the mini 4?

View attachment 830915 View attachment 830916 I bought the iPhone mini 4 Silicone Case for my iPad mini 5, here are my quick thoughts:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.