Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Following on from this topic...

I'm not sure the best way to explain it. Basically the screen seems to smudge really easy or there's some film on it that's hard to get off. My iPad Air or iPhones weren't like this Any of you noticed a "film" or smudgy look that's hard to get off? I really notice it when viewing a site like this that has a predominately white background...

With the laminated glass and anti-reflective coating,

Would installing one of those glass screen protectors diminish the advantages of the new screen technology?

IOW, trading off smudge propensity for higher reflectivity/washout???

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
Following on from this topic...

With the laminated glass and anti-reflective coating,

Would installing one of those glass screen protectors diminish the advantages of the new screen technology?

IOW, trading off smudge propensity for higher reflectivity/washout???
That's a good question. I don't think I'll put one on now. Typically if I do put one on, it's been right out of the box before anything gets on the screen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I did this with my Air 2 (same display type) and I think the trade-off was positive, but I don't often use iPads in places where reflections are a big issue. If I did, i might feel differently - or I might not. The fingerprints (and my hands are MUCH drier than most people's hands) were quite annoying - more annoying than reflections were. YMMV, of course.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I was convinced the smudging would not be a problem on my Mini 4 but am starting to feel.see the problem.
Does anyone have a link for a glass screen protector? I have searched and not found one for the iPad Mini 4.
I have not used a screen protector in years, but have never tried glass, so maybe it will be a more positive experience.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I was convinced the smudging would not be a problem on my Mini 4 but am starting to feel.see the problem.
Does anyone have a link for a glass screen protector? I have searched and not found one for the iPad Mini 4.
I have not used a screen protector in years, but have never tried glass, so maybe it will be a more positive experience.

Amazon is now starting to show some that are in stock or going to be in stock this week. This one looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Supershieldz®...1&keywords=ipad+mini+4+glass+screen+protector

I have become a fan of the Tech Armor glass screen protectors, but they haven't got one on the market yet.

Reactions: ron7624

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Amazon is now starting to show some that are in stock or going to be in stock this week. This one looks pretty good: http://www.amazon.com/Supershieldz®...1&keywords=ipad+mini+4+glass+screen+protector

I have become a fan of the Tech Armor glass screen protectors, but they haven't got one on the market yet.
Thanks! I was looking to buy the Tech Armor as well but couldnt find it in the Mini 4 size. Ordering now..Ill update/review if I can get it on without bubbles lol

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Thanks! I was looking to buy the Tech Armor as well but couldnt find it in the Mini 4 size. Ordering now..Ill update/review if I can get it on without bubbles lol

I have installed glass on three iPhones and three iPads. I've only once had a dust problem, but it was more or less fatal because the corner that I had to peel the glass up from to get the "dust remover" between the protector and the screen never really stuck down properly afterwards. It was replaced by the manufacturer without any questions. Sounds crazy but I think the steamy bathroom trick is helpful for these. One nice thing about the Tech Armor iPad screen protectors is that they come with two stick-on suction cup "handles" so you can position the screen protector properly. Some others have similar installation aids.

I should add that other than gee-gaws like the suction cups, it's possible that these are all basically the same, as long as the features (like rounded edges, which I'd say is a must) are the same.

Federik

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2015
I'm currently waiting for the Mediadevil screen protector... hope to see it soon on the market!

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali

Trebuin

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2008
Central Cali
Mine is delivering today.
You should like it. Mine has two very minor defects and it does feel a bit thick. Sensitivity is fine and it fully covers the screen. I think the thickness is good as it keeps it from breaking in the event I have to pull it off to realign. I recommend the steam install method.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
You should like it. Mine has two very minor defects and it does feel a bit thick. Sensitivity is fine and it fully covers the screen. I think the thickness is good as it keeps it from breaking in the event I have to pull it off to realign. I recommend the steam install method.
Thanks for the advice, I will do it per your rec. Im currently stuck away from home for 2 days o_O:(

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
What is the steam install method?

Basically, installing it in your bathroom after you've steamed up the bathroom with the shower running hot. It keeps static down and makes dust less likely to stick to the screen protector when you peel off the cover on the adhesive side.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
earlier in this thread:

Amazon is now starting to show some that are in stock or going to be in stock this week. This one looks pretty good:http://www.amazon.com/Supershieldz®...1&keywords=ipad+mini+4+glass+screen+protector

New post 10/05/15
I attempted to apply today. I have Never had good luck with screen protectors. in the bathroom, glasses fogging up, cleaned and cleaned.
Applied with 1 spec of dust....in the middle. Attempted to get it out with a piece of tape per the instructions.
Now there are 3 large bubbles with dust in each one. Arrrg.
I'll live with it as long as I can then trash it :(

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
In reality, I was not worried about the smudging on the original glass, I wanted the screen protector to protect the screen in the evert of a short drop.
If I ever find someone that can professionally install one, I will have it done. Again, I have never been able to install one without dust somewhere.
So I did a search for installing screen protectors on tablets and found an old post saying Best Buy would do it, I may call them - and have them do it if they have glass screen protectors. In spite of the bubbles, I really like the glass one that I installed. it just feels good and really cant tell the bubbles/dust particles unless turned off.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Yes sir. This is the one that I bought at launch. It is perfect. I can't tell it is on the device except the home button is slightly more recessed. I love it. I bought it for 9.99 at the time but would pay more for it.
I lucked out and had it professionally installed at a Best Buy because they didn't have one to sell me, so I talked the tech into it telling him I wouldn't hold it against him if he got a piece of dust trapped. He didn't want to, but I assured him that I sure couldn't do it myself and I would pay for it and let it go if he failed. Luckily it was a perfect installation. There is no difference in touch responsiveness and there is no strange tint. It is perfect.
edit
An earlier post shows I bought a different brand, which I did and I blew the installation. So I bought this one and had it installed. Very glad it worked out.

McRumour

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
Yes sir. This is the one that I bought at launch. It is perfect. I can't tell it is on the device except the home button is slightly more recessed. I love it. I bought it for 9.99 at the time but would pay more for it.
I lucked out and had it professionally installed at a Best Buy because they didn't have one to sell me, so I talked the tech into it telling him I wouldn't hold it against him if he got a piece of dust trapped. He didn't want to, but I assured him that I sure couldn't do it myself and I would pay for it and let it go if he failed. Luckily it was a perfect installation. There is no difference in touch responsiveness and there is no strange tint. It is perfect.
edit
An earlier post shows I bought a different brand, which I did and I blew the installation. So I bought this one and had it installed. Very glad it worked out.

Wow....well guess I'll give it a go - if I do decide to "cover up".
Thanks for the reassurance.
BTW - What do best Buy charge for installation...and if they don't...did you tip the guy who did it for you?

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
it was only like 9 dollars, Their policy was to NOT install mine. I would have had to buy theirs (at 49 dollars) for them to install. Where I lucked out was they didn't have one. So I called and asked if they would install mine and a young girl said yes. When at the store, they initially refused - but the girl was there and fessed up so they did it because she said yes - lol
Best Buy is a great store!!
I should have tipped they guy as well but didn't think about it at the time. I actually felt bad later, but did pay the store price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.