Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikbaidak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
Novice computer user. Looking to purchase a Mac Mini 2 to replace an antiquated 2011 iMac. I generally do basic Office functions on Word, Download music and photos. I’m trying to do this replacement inexpensively with an 8 GB/256 Mac Mini and simply ad storage with either an external storage device with 1TB or purchase a hub and install an SSD storage device Of 1 TB.

LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS. Is 8 GB enough RAM? for my needs should I purchase the hub and install an internal storage device? If so, do I need to reconfigure any settings?

is it easy to transfer files from iMac to the storage devices and then upload files as I need them…OR…am I just out to lunch and out of my league?

Reactions: mr_jomo

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
8GB of RAM is fine but you'd be better off with 16GB. With the amount of memory applications use these days, the more RAM, the better off you'll be, especially for down the road. Since you can't upgrade the RAM after you purchase the machine, IMO, get the bigger RAM option at purchase.

As for the storage, you can easily get a 1TB SSD from Amazon for dirt cheap so that shouldn't be a problem for you there.

As for transferring files from your old iMac to the new machine, you have a few options.

1. Backup EVERYTHING on your iMac to Time Machine and setup your new Mac Mini using that Time Machine backup
  2. Backup EVERYTHING on your iMac to a cloud service (dropbox, google cloud, iCloud etc...)
  3. Backup EVERYTHING onto a series of external drives/flash drives and transfer things that way.
It all depends on your comfort level and whether or not you want to upload a bunch of data to cloud storage or keep everything within arms reach on local drives.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
8GB of RAM is fine but you'd be better off with 16GB. With the amount of memory applications use these days, the more RAM, the better off you'll be, especially for down the road. Since you can't upgrade the RAM after you purchase the machine, IMO, get the bigger RAM option at purchase.
Totally agree here. I think an 8GB RAM Mini will serve quite well for that light usage today -- but a few years down the line OS and other software updates will inevitably consume more resources. It's a $200 upgrade that you may one day later wish you could go back in time and order.

And on a desktop storing files on an external drive is quite painless. You can pretty easily move your Photos, Music and TV libraries (if you have them) onto an external SSD and just keep your home folder and applications on the internal drive. Just be sure that your backups also include the external drive in case it fails. Gotta have that redundancy.

mikbaidak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024

As for the storage, you can easily get a 1TB SSD from Amazon for dirt cheap so that shouldn't be a problem for you there.

As for transferring files from your old iMac to the new machine, you have a few options.

1. Backup EVERYTHING on your iMac to Time Machine and setup your new Mac Mini using that Time Machine backup
  2. Backup EVERYTHING on your iMac to a cloud service (dropbox, google cloud, iCloud etc...)
  3. Backup EVERYTHING onto a series of external drives/flash drives and transfer things that way.
It all depends on your comfort level and whether or not you want to upload a bunch of data to cloud storage or keep everything within arms reach on local drives.
Thanks for the quick response. No Time Machine for backup…so moving to external drives may be the best option. Could possibly do the iCloud route though but may have to research that process.

Another question…Apple has a refurbished M2 with 16 GB/256. Haven’t done a refurbished unit but it’s at a good price of around $700 and has be factory tested and reconditioned. Good deal?

External storage or should I consider a hub and install a 1TB storage inside? Not sure what to look for but I’ve seen videos of a SATA storage. Any brand of storage you’d recommend!

Reactions: Timpetus

richmlow

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Novice computer user. Looking to purchase a Mac Mini 2 to replace an antiquated 2011 iMac. I generally do basic Office functions on Word, Download music and photos. I’m trying to do this replacement inexpensively with an 8 GB/256 Mac Mini and simply ad storage with either an external storage device with 1TB or purchase a hub and install an SSD storage device Of 1 TB.

LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS. Is 8 GB enough RAM? for my needs should I purchase the hub and install an internal storage device? If so, do I need to reconfigure any settings?

is it easy to transfer files from iMac to the storage devices and then upload files as I need them…OR…am I just out to lunch and out of my league?

For your needs, I would recommend the following:

Mac mini M2
16 GB RAM
8-core CPU
10-core GPU
512 GB SSD

Please see the following link for further details.

This system configuration should be more than adequate for many years!

Regarding hubs, etc., my opinion is that you don't need that. For additional external options,
just purchase a reliable external SSD drive.

Good luck on your purchase decision.

richmlow

Reactions: mikbaidak

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Another question…Apple has a refurbished M2 with 16 GB/256. Haven’t done a refurbished unit but it’s at a good price of around $700 and has be factory tested and reconditioned. Good deal?

External storage or should I consider a hub and install a 1TB storage inside? Not sure what to look for but I’ve seen videos of a SATA storage. Any brand of storage you’d recommend!
That sounds like a good deal for a refurbished unit. I have the M2 with 16GB of RAM and it's been nothing short of fantastic for me.

As for external storage, it's entirely up to you. If you get an M2 Mac Mini, you'll have access to Type C thunderbolt ports and most external SSD's these days use that interface and will be nearly as fast as SATA storage. You CAN get a hub and add an internal SSD to the hub if you want but ultimately, it depends on what you want to do. As for brands, can't go wrong with Samsung SSD's. Just look on Amazon for "Samsung external SSD" and read the reviews and you'll see how reliable they are.

mikbaidak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
That sounds like a good deal for a refurbished unit. I have the M2 with 16GB of RAM and it's been nothing short of fantastic for me.

As for external storage, it's entirely up to you. If you get an M2 Mac Mini, you'll have access to Type C thunderbolt ports and most external SSD's these days use that interface and will be nearly as fast as SATA storage. You CAN get a hub and add an internal SSD to the hub if you want but ultimately, it depends on what you want to do. As for brands, can't go wrong with Samsung SSD's. Just look on Amazon for "Samsung external SSD" and read the reviews and you'll see how reliable they are.
Much appreciated! Thanks for the feedback!

Great feedback!

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I admit I find it disappointing that anyone these days would say 8 gigs are fine as one cannot add RAM later. Most reviewers will often say if you can, get 16 gigs. Many of the refurbs are 8-gig RAM machines for a reason. Lots of good things about the M chip Macs but memory management is not one of them.

Typical scenario - working on an Office doc, have 2-4 webpages open, and music playing in the background..8 gigs start maybe okay but shortly after not so smooth... All an issue with the amount and how RAM is handled. I am sure some people have no problem with 8 gigs but lots do.

mikbaidak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2024
I admit I find it disappointing that anyone these days would say 8 gigs are fine as one cannot add RAM later. Most reviewers will often say if you can, get 16 gigs. Many of the refurbs are 8-gig RAM machines for a reason. Lots of good things about the M chip Macs but memory management is not one of them.

Typical scenario - working on an Office doc, have 2-4 webpages open, and music playing in the background..8 gigs start maybe okay but shortly after not so smooth... All an issue with the amount and how RAM is handled. I am sure some people have no problem with 8 gigs but lots do.
From what I’m reading and the responses given…16 gigs seems to be the standard to go with. Thanks for your response!

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

I don’t recommend any machine with less than 16 GB of ram and 512 hard drive.

Will it work? Yes. Will you regret saving a few bucks? Also yes.

Added note: IMO getting more ram is more important than getting M3 over M2 or even M1. The processing power of modern chips is more than most people need. RAM is something that everyone will benefit from with faster multitasking and day-to-day work.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Get 16gb of RAM.
Get at least a 512gb internal drive. 1tb is better.

I'd recommend an m2pro Mini for "longevity".
You can save some money by buying an Apple-refurbished unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.