Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
I have a Dell (UP2716D) monitor connected to a mid-2014 13" rMBP via Mini DisplayPort. Only when I connect the USB upstream will the USB ports on Dell work, where my speakers are connected by USB to monitor. Is my monitor/cable faulty or is this how mDP supposed to work -- not transmit USB ports from monitor to laptop? I am just curious because I always connect both USB upstream and mDP to laptop and could not find info about this online.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Have you used the Sound Preference Pane's Output options or the Menu Bar's Sound widget to change the Sound Output device to "DisplayPort"? That's what I do with my BenQ and Dell displays - the switch is pretty much automatic with my BenQ displays but not with my Dells.

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Yes I have tried many times, but it does not show the DisplayPort option. It is a little inconvenient to connect two cables (USB and mDP) instead of one. I have had the monitor for 6 months now and I always connect both mDP and USB, but clueless to why. Maybe I should contact Dell support?

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
If I were you, I'd contact Dell CS with the caveat that they'll read the "we don't support Macs" diatribe that will get you nowhere and leave you frustrated to a degree.

There is one bit that I didn't relate to that I have in my workflow that most Dell display owners don't in that I replaced the stock, non-compliant Dell mDP>DP cables (made by COXOC) with compliant cables - the compliant cables allow the computer and display to convey what each are capable of. I had so many problems with the stock cables that went away with a compliant cable - your display and my Dells are pretty much identical, feature-wise. Besides this change, consider a Mac-specific sound utility, like SoundFlower - which you can use to set up a new, unique virtual sound device. Cheers!

Reactions: Lionel Messi

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Haha, I dislike getting frustrated by call centers so I will refrain from calling them.

Cable is culprit then - let's hope for an easy fix! Unfortunately I'm away from my monitor for this week but will buy the cable and test it next week, and also try the software if cable change does not suffice.

Thanks for your response!! Much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
I bought a mDP to HDMI cable that 'supports audio output' but it did not work with the USB speakers connected to the monitor and only worked with AUX (which I also just bought), and in fact made the resolution and colors much worse than mDP to DP. Also, through AUX I could not control the volume from my Mac and shows a block sign, so it is constantly maximum volume.

My monitor has a mDP port, so do you think a Thunderbolt 2 cable from Apple will work with the USB ports? This is a similar question probably with a better explanation than mine: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2775872/usb-data-displayport-cable-monitor.html

Again, my issue is as follows: I have 4 USB ports on my monitor (UP2716D) and none work when the USB upstream cable is not connected from my MBP to the monitor. What I want is to be able to use the USB ports without using the the USB upstream cable, such that I only one cable running from my MBP to monitor i.e. have only the mDP to DP (or mDP to mDP, if it works) connection between my MBP and monitor.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I bought a mDP to HDMI cable that 'supports audio output' but it did not work with the USB speakers connected to the monitor and only worked with AUX (which I also just bought), and in fact made the resolution and colors much worse than mDP to DP. Also, through AUX I could not control the volume from my Mac and shows a block sign, so it is constantly maximum volume.

My monitor has a mDP port, so do you think a Thunderbolt 2 cable from Apple will work with the USB ports? This is a similar question probably with a better explanation than mine: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2775872/usb-data-displayport-cable-monitor.html
MiniDisplayport does not pass USB. It is expected that your USB speakers would require a USB connection.

Reactions: Fishrrman

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
MiniDisplayport does not pass USB. It is expected that your USB speakers would require a USB connection.

Issue resolved. That ends the thinking and searching. Thank you.

Think I'll have to design and 3D print a 'holder' for the USB and mDP ports so that I connect them together. Only solution there is to this problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.