Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Parraga

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2022
I recently purchased a new 5th generation iPad Pro. 12.9” with 1 TB of storage. It’s great and frankly much more than I need, but I love the screen and essentially use it in place of my old MacBook Air as my daily work machine.

Many years ago I took a lot of video with a Sony DCR-PC100 Mini DV video camera. I thought this new iPad would be a great way to import these old Mini DV video tapes and get them into a form I could edit and play with on the new iPad. So, I connected the iPad Pro to the Sony video camera as follows:

1. The iPad Pro to the Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter, and then to;
2. The Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter, and then to;
3. A 9 pin firewire cable to the 4 pin firewire on my Sony video camera.

Great. I connect it and NOTHING. Try turning on and off the camera and/or opening apps in all of the various combinations to see if it makes any difference. And just NOTHING. I try using the same collection of cables and merely change the connection from my iPad Pro to my old MacBook Air and immediately get message that the MacBook does not support Thunderbolt.

So I come to these forums and although I wasn’t able to find anything the explicitly answers my questions, I have found a lot of good information and am finally realizing that my iPad Pro doesn’t have the capability to INPUT the camera’s video feed. Is that right? Assuming it is, I would love ANY RECOMMENDATIONS/SUGGESTIONS on what might be the best way to try and get this video onto my iPad or otherwise into the Apple Photos cloud so I can use it on my new iPad Pro. I just spent a lot of money buying this iPad. I’m seriously wondering if I would be better off returning the iPad and exchanging it for a new MacBook.

I also considering just sending the tapes to COSTCO since they have a service that will convert the tapes for me. But the cost associated with going that route is not cheap and I think I might rather invest those dollars toward something that might have other uses in the future.

HELP. ;-)

By the way, I also tried seeing if the iPad would recognize an HDMI input via an RCA to HDMI converter and then into the iPad using an old USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter I had for the MacBook Air. That also failed to do anything on the iPad Pro. Didn’t try it on the MacBook Air yet.

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
I don’t think it’s going to work with iPad but check this link

I would try to borrow a MacBook or pc for this one-time task rather than switching devices.

Reactions: Parraga

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
I doubt iPadOS or iOS has ever contained the drivers/frameworks for FireWire. Until the current Pro, there would have been no way to make such a connection. It likely does not even have the codecs necessary to playback a DV encoded MOV file.

FYI, The HDMI on that USB-C AV adapter is only an HDMI output, not an input.

Borrowing a Mac to capture and convert the footage to H.264 would probably be the best bet and give you the best quality, then copy it to your iPad via iCloud Drive or an external USB drive.

If you want a gadget that that can ingest HDMI into the iPad that you can get use out of later and don't mind spending a little extra after returning your dongles, you could take a look at the Hollyland Mars X. It's a box that takes an HDMI input and sends the feed wirelessly to upto 3 iPads. The app allows you to view and record directly on the iPad. Quality will me limited to however good your RCA to HDMI adapter is. It's designed for filmmakers and videographers, but it's priced incredibly well for how well it actually works: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1566763-REG/hollyland_hl_mars_x_mars_x_1080p_hdmi.html

Reactions: Parraga and barbu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.