Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
I was going to go out today to buy a new Mac Mini and had a question or two that I hope someone can answer.

The reason I am going to get one is because I want to stream my media (Movies, Music, Pics) and access files/documents on the Mac Mini and then use it with my iPhone and new iPad while on the go through Wifi. I would want the Mac Mini to be hooked up to my 49" Samsung 1080p LCD TV in the bedroom.

1. Is the Mini Displayport better than the Mini-DVI port... does it get a better picture or is it a cleaner signal?

2. Is it safe to keep it running 24/7? I probably would shut it off or put it to sleep when I am done for the night.

3. I would be hooking up an external hard drive (WD Passport) on one of the USB ports. If the Mac Mini is in sleep mode does the external drive go into sleep mode too?

4. I also have a Thermaltake BlacX docking station and use a WD 1TB drive. Is something like that compatible with the Mac Mini?

Thanks for the help.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
1. They're both all-digital, so they'll both give crisp, clean pictures. A miniDVI-DVI adapter comes in the box with the mini.

2. My mini has been running 24/7 since I bought it last march with no ill effects :)

3. Depends on the drive. Some do, some don't. WD drives tend to be a bit funky with Macs from my experience. Note that the drive may prevent the machine from properly entering sleep mode when connected via USB.

4. There's docking stations of sorts for the mini - some of them are pretty cool. http://www.newertech.com/products/externalhd.php

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Now that I think about it... my TV doesn't have a DVI port. So I would have to go with the Mini-DVI to DVI and then a DVI to HDMI. That seems too much. Think I would just buy a Mini Displayport to HDMI cable from Monoprice. That should work I believe.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=5995&seq=1&format=2

My TV does have VGA also. How's that compared to the other two types?

If I do go with DVI or Displayport... Will the picture look as good as say, Blu-Ray or Apples Cinema Displays? Of course depending on what source material I use.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I'm going the mini-dvi to dvi to hdmi route, and I'm happy with it.

And my experience with WD drives (the my book series) has been good, they sleep with Macs well.

moviecouple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the help.

Phatpat,
Are you on a TV or Monitor? How is the picture? Good as Blu-Ray or one of Apples Cinema Displays?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.