Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magsec4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi everyone!

I have a brand-new MacBook that I just got last week, and I need to be able to plug it into both DVI and VGA ports (not at the same time). I know I'll need to buy Apple's mini-DVI adapter, but it's $25 CAD!

I was recently looking through my boxes full of old hardware and found a DVI to VGA adapter that came with one of my previous video cards. I'm thinking: Why not buy just a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and then just plug my DVI to VGA adapter into it so I can use it for VGA.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this? Think the DVI-VGA adapter was specially designed to work with my video card, or is it a standard adapter?

iTeen

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2007
Washington
Hi everyone!

I have a brand-new MacBook that I just got last week, and I need to be able to plug it into both DVI and VGA ports (not at the same time). I know I'll need to buy Apple's mini-DVI adapter, but it's $25 CAD!

I was recently looking through my boxes full of old hardware and found a DVI to VGA adapter that came with one of my previous video cards. I'm thinking: Why not buy just a mini-DVI to DVI adapter and then just plug my DVI to VGA adapter into it so I can use it for VGA.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this? Think the DVI-VGA adapter was specially designed to work with my video card, or is it a standard adapter?
my mom has this setup going with her macbook...it works great.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Hi everyone!

If it will fit, then go for it. The DVI-VGA adapters I had laying around when I got my macbook wouldn't work with the MiniDVI-DVI adapter, so I had to get the other MiniDVI adapter anyway.

Magsec4

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hmm... found this on wikipedia's article on DVI:

"As well as digital signals, the DVI connector includes pins providing the same analog signals found on a VGA connector, allowing a VGA monitor to be connected with a simple plug adapter."

I guess since I need to be able to connect my MacBook to both DVI and VGA I'll just buy the Mini-DVI to DVI adapter and try my DVI to VGA adapter with it. If it works, great, if not, then I guess I'm stuck buying another $25 adapter.

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
Last time I did a research on this, the answer is no. When you use mini-DVI to DVI, it drops analog signals, so even if you try to use DVI-VGA adaptor, no signal will carry through.

I haven't personally tested, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.