Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I'm thinking of getting my wife a mini, but am a bit unsure if it is suited for how I expect her to use it. My wife is very practical and will only use it if it is usefull, she won't use it just because it's cool.

I expect it will fill the roll of Facebook and email that her iphone takes around the house, but she reads a lot of magazines, will the mini be well suited for this task?

I know the retina is nice, but I'm almost thinking she won't notice the diference as long as I don't buy an ipad 4 for myself for a side by side comparison.

Any idea how the pixel density / screen size will suit itself for reading magazines?

It would be easy to just jump up to the ipad4, but I almost think the purse size of the mini might be better for her; but really the cost is not a deciding factor, I want to get the right device (or no device at all).

Thanks for any opinions.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
I read magazines and other PDFs on my iPad 2 and find it a pleasant enough experience. I am hoping that the Mini does as good a job (and considering the slightly higher ppi, don't see why it shouldn't.

unbdm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
I read magazines and other PDFs on my iPad 2 and find it a pleasant enough experience. I am hoping that the Mini does as good a job (and considering the slightly higher ppi, don't see why it shouldn't.

do you have any concern for the overall screen size requiring too much panning, or should it be identical to your ipad 2, only smaller (and higher ppi)? I had heard the nexus 7 wasn't suited well for magazines.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The Mini will still show the same full-screen magazine view that you get on the regular iPad, but I'm betting that it will both be a little bit too small to read and that text will be fuzzy given that retina displays show the biggest improvement with small fonts. I would expect to have to do some zooming and panning to make it readable.

I'd be glad to hear otherwise as this is one of the reasons I'm sticking with the full sized iPad.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
IMO- if Magazines and comic book reading is a big concern- you have to stick with the full retina.
I don't play games.
Most apps seem useless as well
But for reading books, magazines and especially Comic books/graphic novels- the larger retina screen is very hard to give up. It's perfect.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
The screen may be too small. I can tell you that on the 7" Nook Tablet it was too small and I have great vision. With that said, I still ordered a Mini to try in hopes that the extra inch was enough to make it work.

MartyCan

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2012
Near Toronto, ON
I'm not sure about magazines but I still zoom in reading MacLife on my iPad 3 anyway so that's no big deal to me.

I am hoping it's better for books from the standpoint that it's just plain lighter to hold up at eye level than the full size iPad. Less arm fatigue. For books you can pick the size you want the text anyway can't you? Just means flipping the page more often or now, scrolling the screen more.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I found magazines awful on the iPad 2.

With the retina display they are a massive improvement, pages looks just as crisp as the actual page in a printed magazine.

The retina display should not be under estimated when it comes to text.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I also wonder if the mini can be used for magazines and comics since this is what I primarily use my ipad 1st. gen for. :(

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
I found magazines awful on the iPad 2.

With the retina display they are a massive improvement, pages looks just as crisp as the actual page in a printed magazine.

The retina display should not be under estimated when it comes to text.

Agreed. Once you've lived with a retina display, it's very difficult to go back. This fact alone rules out the mini for my house.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
At this stage, it depends whats more important to you, convenience and portability or quality.

I have been using the mrs' ipad 2 for the last week or so to see if i could go back to non-retina, and actually i found after the initial "OMG this looks like *****" feeling, i got used to it and now it doesn't bother me.

Magazines etc read fine, i always zoom in on the text anyway.

wx4olf

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I use zinio for reading several magazines a month and it works pretty good on both my tablet and phone. You can flip the pages and zoom in to read text or with most of the magazines I subscribe to hit a button to only see the article text just like when reading an ebook. That's a great way to focus on the article content and I have moved away from buying magazines that don't support this feature or are merely scans of the newsstand copy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.