Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
UK
My iPad Mini serial shows a processor speed of 1.23ghz and iPad 2 (latest model) shows 1.0ghz. From the chipmunk serial thingy. Thoughts?

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
How exactly are you checking the processor speed without a Mini on hand?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they clocked the A5 in them a bit faster, and it's known that doing so is possible, as it was underclocked in the iPad 2.

I'm just curious at how reliable your source is. I won't lie - I'm hopeful that it's spot-on.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
My iPad Mini serial shows a processor speed of 1.23ghz and iPad 2 (latest model) shows 1.0ghz. From the chipmunk serial thingy. Thoughts?

Does this chipmunk thingamajig give any info on ram? Would be very nice if Apple upped the ram as well. I know not likely, and not even a deal breaker (for me) but it would be a nice surprise to find a gig of ram.

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Yeah, OP, spill the beans, what's your source? Some kind of black magic???

The OP has entered his serial number in at chipmunk.nl and the info given is as follows
Mine, for example
Production year: 2012
Production week: 42 (October)
Name: iPad
ModelCode: ipad
Group1: iPad
Group2: Mini
Generation: 1
CPU speed: 1.23GHz
Screen size: 7.9 inch
Screen resolution: 1024x768 pixels
Colour: Black
Capacity: 16GB
Factory: F4

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Saw the same thing earlier this morning when I checked my build week. I'm not sure how accurate this site has been in the past for specs but it wouldn't surprise me if they clocked it a bit higher to offset its age.

Last edited:

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
From everything I've read, the A5 in the iPad mini is a little smaller than in the iPad. Because of the smaller size, it is naturally quicker for transporting data. How I saw it explained is like you driving to your local grocery store. It currently takes 20 minutes to drive to this store. If you would move 10% closer (just like a chip getting 10% smaller), then your drive would be 18 minutes at the same speed. Therefor, quicker without driving faster. Make sense?

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Saw the same thing earlier this morning when I checked my build week. I'm not sure how accurate this site has been in the past for specs but it wouldn't surprise me if they clocked it a bit higher to offset it's age.

They appear to be an Apple reseller/repair agent from what I can make out. I presumed they are linking into an Apple database for those details.

I have yet to see an error with their info.

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
yup, 1.23 GHZ on mine too. Good news! and yes, if only it had more RAM as well.. although that seems rather unlikely.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The OP has entered his serial number in at chipmunk.nl and the info given is as follows
Mine, for example

They appear to be an Apple reseller/repair agent from what I can make out. I presumed they are linking into an Apple database for those details.

I have yet to see an error with their info.

Very interesting, thanks for the follow up.

From everything I've read, the A5 in the iPad mini is a little smaller than in the iPad. Because of the smaller size, it is naturally quicker for transporting data. How I saw it explained is like you driving to your local grocery store. It currently takes 20 minutes to drive to this store. If you would move 10% closer (just like a chip getting 10% smaller), then your drive would be 18 minutes at the same speed. Therefor, quicker without driving faster. Make sense?

Well, the clock speed is the clock speed as determined by the oscillator [or whatever mechanism] that's integrated into the SOC when applicable. The smaller CPU uses less power and generates less heat (so can potentially be driven to higher clocks), but the smaller die itself doesn't make the device run faster.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
It's be interesting to read the benchmark tests when they come out.

I agree. It seems like this is a bit of a surprise, and a very welcomed one, in my opinion. I'd be happy with iPad 2 speed, but a speed bump of ~25%? That's certainly a great bonus.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I think...

1, there information is wrong

2, it's correct but apple have implemented the same dynamic clocking as the a6 in the ip5

3, it's correct and apple have clocked it higher for longevity

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Interesting, so does this mean that it is faster than iPad2, and better in every way(apart from the screen size)?

Sorry, that's an incorrect statement, the iPad 2 might have a different screen size, but it certainly doesn't have a better screen size. In fact, there are 2 major improvements on the Mini, the smaller screen size and lesser weight.

They are the 2 overriding reasons for the Mini, size and weight.

PortableLover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
england
Yeah, I didn't mean the 9.7inch is a better screen size. Considering getting myself a Mini, that smaller size is a lot more compact for me.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I just checked my serial number as well and it's showing the same. I'm very excited to know the A5 is clocked at a higher speed if this is indeed true (I'm believing it thus far).

Screen Shot 2012-10-29 at 2.12.18 PM.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.