Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountryBoy_71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 1, 2023
I'm hoping that someone here has some technical insights. I purchased a used Late 2014, 2.6 GHz, i5 (not a bad little machine...so far). When I got the machine, first thing I did was install an M.2 to accompany the 1GB drive that was already in it.

So when I turned it on and was trying to boot to the boot selector, I had no screen (was using the HDMI port). I switched over to the DP (mini-dp to DP) and got it moving and installing. After that I migrated everything from my other machine.

Now that I have everything up and running I am trying to diagnose the HDMI issue. First thing I did was contact the seller (off eB) and asked him about it. He advised HDMI was how it reset and tested the system so I have to believe it worked at some point prior to coming to me.

Are there any other tests or something I can look at to help diagnose? On a whim, I did reset the NVRAM and even though some other suggestions were to go into display settings and hold the option key down to get to 'Detect settings' (tried changing to 'scaled' as well), nothing I do will get me to that...it just never appears...and yes, I have tried different cables!

I'm trying to go down this route before I go out and purchase a USB to DP adapter or some sort of dp/thunderbolt dock.

Would be so much simpler if one could just use both dp ports!

Just FYI, both of my monitors are Dell U2412M's and worked flawlessly on my previous Mac (the one I migrated from) and both machines are running Monterey.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If an HDMI (Mini) to HDMI (display) won't work, I suggest you try an HDMI (Mini) to DVI (display) instead.

This worked for me (with a 2018 Mini and a Viewsonic display). I was having problems with HDMI-HDMI. When I switched to HDMI-DVI, things worked much better.

Or, try a DIFFERENT HDMI cable.
I'd suggest "HDMI 2.0, high-speed"...

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Just FYI, both of my monitors are Dell U2412M's and worked flawlessly on my previous Mac (the one I migrated from) and both machines are running Monterey.
this might not be the issue but
I would check the display settings in Monterey and make sure the DPI and all that number stuff is in order.
My 2012 Mac mini Monterey was having problems with HDMI, so I went back to Catalina
were everything work HDMI-wise, then someone recommended I "check my Monterey settings" .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.