Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
I am due for an iPad upgrade and I'm debating on splurging on the upcoming OLED release or the current mini-LED 12.9" at a cheaper price. I mainly watch YouTube and basic tasks. Should I spend extra money for the OLED or be happy with the cheaper mini-LED?

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
OLED will give you better HDR effect due to the extra contrast. If you watch HDR content often, get OLED.

But otherwise, it's doesn't really matter.

I know many think OLED is superior, I personally still prefer LCD. A good LCD can still look great.

cthompson94

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2022
SoCal
Along with what @teohyc said, the blacks will be better (player in the better HDR effect). Current mini-LED iPads also have a blooming effect which can affect the blacks/darker areas of content, but I feel personally this is more noticeable if you are watching in a dark room at night or something.

You mentioned in the title this is primarily for YT consumption, so in my opinion I think saving the money would be the biggest benefit since a lot of the YT content is highly dependent on how the creator makes and uploads the video, where as something like say Apple TV+ (for example) has all the content switch to the HDR effect for video.

Reactions: rjruiz2

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2014
Okay good information/advise. Thank you! Now, I just wonder if the price will drop for the current iPad more after the release/announcement of the new iPads...

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
if the mini-led gets upgraded with even more dimming zones...then min-led, but im highly doubting this will happen
double oled layer will be good for hdr and a bit more contrast than mini-led but it will be double the trouble on the blue fading pixels..this is oled achilles.

Reactions: rjruiz2

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Wait and check them out side-by-side if you can and weigh whatever difference in video quality you can perceive against price difference - is it worth it to you, irrespective of what others may think. Other people's opinions are not really useful in things like this - it comes down to your subjective perceptions of quality and cost.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.