Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrianforest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
I'm a web designer and currently use a MacBook air M1. More recently I've decided I needed two screens so have identical Samsung 4K panels. I use an Alogic displaylink enabled dongle which allows me to connect to both at 4K with no problems even though it's a bit 'laggy'.

I'm looking to upgrade my work machine now to an M2 Pro mini. Is it possible to connect my 2 screens (USB-C to displaylink) using two of the thunderbolt/usb-c ports on the back?

Is it a good time to buy or should I wait for the M3 announcement so prices come down a little?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
M2pro Mini display support:
Mac mini (2023) with M2 Pro chip

From recent rumors posted here on "the front page", it looks like Apple might skip an "m3pro iteration" of the Mini and go right to an m4pro CPU in early 2025. So... you might have to wait a while for a "pro" Mini other than the m2pro...

I could be wrong.

Reactions: Chuckeee

mrianforest

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 27, 2014
Fair enough I guess. I went to the apple store at Bluewater today, they couldn't confirm if I could use 2 x 4K panels, all they could confirm is that if it didn't work I could take it back - wasn't really the answer I wanted.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I went to the apple store at Bluewater today, they couldn't confirm if I could use 2 x 4K panels"

See the link I provided above.
This is info right from Apple on what the m2pro Mini can support.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
If the Samsung supports Thunderbolt, you should be fine. If not, you might need a Thunderbolt dock to support it.

7thMac

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2010
I'm using a Mac Mini M2 Pro with two older Dell 4K displays. One display is connected using a USB-C to Display Port input while the other display is connected with a HDMI to HDMI cable. Everything works well though I haven't tried using two USB-C/DP cables at the same time. You may not need to use DisplayLink.

meson

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2014
Short answer yes, it will support two 4k panels connected via usb c to display port. There is no need to use a display link adapter (unless you really insist on using it). It was only required with the Air because Apple chose to dedicate one of the two onboard display controllers to the internal display only. The mini M2 Pro can support up to 3 external displays in various combinations of 4k, 5k, 6k, and 8k since it does not have an internal display.

That said, unless you need the extra computing power of the Pro series chip, the base M2 chip in the mini can support 2 external displays via usb c to display port (1 up to 6k and 1 up to 5k).

Specs:

Edit: As mentioned, I don't think we get M3 minis. If you are waiting for an announcement, you will likely be waiting until October - January. That said, I ordered my M1 mini less than two weeks before the M2 launched, so I've been wrong before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.