Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Ok, yes the heading is a bit clickbaity but hear me out.....

My home office desk is in a cornet and my Mitsubishi mini split (AC and heater for this that do not know) is hanging on the left wall.... My mini M2 is in the corner on my desk and today I had a meeting elsewhere and when I cam home I noticed water all over the floor, my desk, my keyboard, mouse, external ssd and hdd AND my mini. I freak out and run to the kitchen to grab a 5 towels to get rid of the water and then notice that the mini split is leaking water. I turn it off and put a bucket under it and then notice that my screens are still on and showing the screensaver.

Long story a little less long... the mini is completely fine. It stands lifted up slightly so the water really only hit the outer case and it wasn't sitting in it but I was really happy that this wasn't my MBA getting soaked because I feel it would have liked it way less.

There is no super interesting meaning in this post beside the fact that after all my iMac's Macbook's MBP's and MBA's I finally dicided on a Mini and today made me really happy that it was a mini getting soaked and surviving with no problem.... Sometimes when something bad happens there is still something good that can be found within the bad thing.

I love my mini M2.... it is a beast in a tiny shell 🐣

Reactions: fp99

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
If no water penetrated, you could be fine. If even a little got in there, you may be on limited time. Select technology can get wet and function just fine for a few days (or more)... and then one day... 😵

If you don't have a backup in place, BACKUP NOW. Built-in Time Machine to a connected hard drive (that did not get "rained" on) is a great option. If you get through a couple of weeks with nothing going wrong, you probably really are fine. Else, if that "one day" comes, you'll be thankful for a backup that can restore to a replacement Mac and get you back to where you are now.

I'll hope for the best for you... but I wouldn't jump to this "all is fine" conclusion given that description. Water and electrical circuits don't mix. Again, backup now. Else, if you are posting a much more pessimistic followup in a few weeks looking for ways to recover files not backed up on what appears to be a dead Mini, there will likely be none.

One last time: backup now. A backup is never a bad thing to have but crucial in a surprise dead Mac scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: fp99

ovbacon

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
I'm going to assume that anyone now knows about backups....

I have many backups that run all the time since I'm from the generation before computers and so I have lost stuff to failures multiple times when we did not have backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.