Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fabricdesigner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
USA
Does anyone know if the new 2019 Mac mini will produce surface pattern designs with good quality. If so, I would get the 16 GB and an external hard drive for storage. I am using an old PC and Photoshop cd right now. I am making decent designs and have made sales. I need more options for designing so I am looking for a new setup without a lot of cash out right now. I am being told that iMacs are great but, too, much machine for what I am doing. I have read that the new minis are much improved. I use Illustrator, PS, and a drawing app. So I usually have these all opened at the same time and with my very old PC, it doesn’ t crash. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have no plans for video or photo editing. Thanks

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Welcome to MacRumors...

Though i know just little about fabric design and not much about the Mac mini (2018), I wanted to drop in some thoughts.

To produce surface pattern designs with good quality, almost any Mac should be valid, I guess it´s more on the designer to produce good quality than on the Mac. So yes, the new Mac mini should do the job, too.

As that Mac mini doesn't have a dedicated GPU, but an Intel UHD Graphics 630, it would make sense, that someone actually working with it and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, could share experiences about the capability of the Intel graphics card.
Probably it´s a blast from the past, but certain functions you might need were not available in Adobe apps on older Mac models without dedicated GPU from NVDIA or AMD. These were 3D, Oil Paint, Render – Flame, Picture Frame, and Tree, Scrubby Zoom, Birds Eye View, Flick Panning, Smooth Brush Resizing. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

The SSD is soldered and won't be upgradeable - just buy the Mac mini with an SSD of the maximum size you can afford. The some goes for the processor - take the best you can afford.
Fortunately, the RAM is upgradeable. Even though it´s a bit tricky, you could upgrade the RAM at any time by yourself, if really needed. The base 8 GB should be valid for running Photoshop, Illustrator and some other apps simultaneously, as the memory management got some steps ahead during the past years.

Because of the HDMI standards still in use at this time, I recommend the use of Thunderbolt instead of HDMI to connect the display - provided that your Display has got a (Mini) Display Port. Depending on your display, you might get better color depth.

Hope that helps a bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.