Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Revomonster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2010
When is there supposed to be a new mink mac coming out? I would like to buy one soon but I do not want to buy one and have A new one come ounthe next day. Does anyone know where I can get this information?

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Original PPC mini - 1/2005
Original intel mini - 2/2006
Current intel mini - 3/2009

So one time the mini lasted for a year, so 4/2010 would be expected. The second time it was 3 years - so 4/2012 would be expected.

Since Apple is not focused on Macs and there has not been a major architecture change (like PPC to intel in 1st to 2nd mini) - I wouldn't be surprised that new minis don't show up for a long time.

Speed bumps occur all the time, so if that is what you are worried about, then anybodies guess is good.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
What's not correct? Not complete if you count the speed bumps, but the OP said NEW mac mini, not updated mac mini.

ok you are right , but apple sells these speedbumps as new minis , withot speedbumps the timline is quiet shot like you said

2005 ppc g4
2006 intel core solo /duo
2007 core 2 duo
so in real world not counting the marginal speed bumps and the marginal better graphics cards in between there was no new mini since 2007

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
ok you are right , but apple sells these speedbumps as new minis , withot speedbumps the timline is quiet shot like you said

2005 ppc g4
2006 intel core solo /duo
2007 core 2 duo
so in real world not counting the marginal speed bumps and the marginal better graphics cards in between there was no new mini since 2007
Not quite. The Early 2009 mini saw a revamp of the logic board to DDR3 and the 9400M which was vastly superior to the GMA950 it replaced. The 2007 C2D was actually a very minor improvement in that only the CPU was changed. The Late 2009 minis were solely a speed bump. I expect the new minis based on the nVidia 320M GPU to come out in the next few months.

belltree

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Tokyo, Japan
What's not correct? Not complete if you count the speed bumps, but the OP said NEW mac mini, not updated mac mini.

I think it can be safely inferred that the OP mean any update to the Mac Mini and not necessarily a new chipset, CPU or GPU architecture. :rolleyes:

Having said that I do believe that the next Mini update (within the next 2 months) will not simply be a CPU speedbump but rather a shift to the Core i5 like the 15" MacBook Pro along with the Nvidia 320M GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.