Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

speedlimiter

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Is it possible to use a pair of HomePod minis as default output for an Apple TV 4K? I know that they can’t output surround sound like the original HomePod. But I don’t see them listed as a possible output although they are in the same room in HomeKit. I thought you could at least use them as a permanent stereo pair.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Seems that the answer unfortunately is no. I was kind of surprised by that.

Figured that although they wouldn't get the 'home theatre audio' like the regular HomePods, that you could still set a pair of minis as the permanent output for an Apple TV.

You can still output to them manually when you watching something on Apple TV. But not make it automatic. I wonder why.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I didn't realize you can't stereo pair them for audio from a Mac. Seems ridiculous to me, bought two for my office Mac. Guess I will only use one and find somewhere else for the other one. I really like the sound from these little guys, just disappointed in this, hope they update it eventually.

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
I didn't realize you can't stereo pair them for audio from a Mac. Seems ridiculous to me, bought two for my office Mac. Guess I will only use one and find somewhere else for the other one. I really like the sound from these little guys, just disappointed in this, hope they update it eventually.
I paired my mini with my tv to play sound from my iPad and Apple TV. I’m very surprised how well that works for creating stereo effect. Unfortunately you cant do it from the Mac.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Is it possible to use a pair of HomePod minis as default output for an Apple TV 4K? I know that they can’t output surround sound like the original HomePod. But I don’t see them listed as a possible output although they are in the same room in HomeKit. I thought you could at least use them as a permanent stereo pair.
You can currently only choose to output to them, they cannot be set as a default yet. I connect mine each time and they work fine though.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah I was going to buy a pair for my iMac, seems silly you cannot do this

Reactions: Lobwedgephil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.