Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I actually sold my Mini off sometime ago, and with my Macbook gone today as well I kinda miss using EyeTV :eek:

Decided to resist my urge to get a Mac now since what I really want is a MBP, and those are surely going to get an update soon. Still a Mini is really a nice box to have around, but the last update was pretty underwhelming, any possibility that we will see another update 3-4 months later at MWSF?

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
generik said:
I actually sold my Mini off sometime ago, and with my Macbook gone today as well I kinda miss using EyeTV :eek:

Decided to resist my urge to get a Mac now since what I really want is a MBP, and those are surely going to get an update soon. Still a Mini is really a nice box to have around, but the last update was pretty underwhelming, any possibility that we will see another update 3-4 months later at MWSF?

Do you really think that anyone knows the answer to that?

Why did you sell it if you now miss using EyeTV?

For someone who makes many good, valid contributions to the forum, this thread is a waste of time and space.

Rich.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
fatsoforgotso said:
Do you really think that anyone knows the answer to that?

Why did you sell it if you now miss using EyeTV?

For someone who makes many good, valid contributions to the forum, this thread is a waste of time and space.

Rich.

Queue the handbags. I wouldn't expect an update to the Minis until January, if that. I'm sure the next Minis will be Core 2 Duo though and will have the GMA X3000 graphics chip.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I dont think its a waste, remember the silent Mini upgrade to 1.5 G4/64 9200? then a little while later Apple released the Intel version. Many would love another Mini update at MWSF but I dont plan on it. My guess is the books & phone thingy will happen. If Apple can get that GMA 3000 in Mini it might be worth considering but with GMA 950 it doesnt even match up to my 1 1/2 yr old Mini with its 9200 sitting in it. Just look at UT2K4 and how new mini lost frames though the CPU is 4-5 times faster. GMA 950 is garbage. Heck a 9200 64mb matched to the core duo would kill the current offering. Anything is possible with Apple I have learned. Here's to hoping:)

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Dont Hurt Me said:
I dont think its a waste, remember the silent Mini up grade to 1.5 G4/64 9200? then a little while later Apple released the Intel version. Many would love another Mini update at MWSF but I dont plan on it. My guess is the books & phone thingy will happen. If Apple can get that GMA 3000 in Mini it might be worth considering but with GMA 950 it doesnt even match up to my 1 1/2 yr old Mini with its 9200 sitting in it. Just look at UT2K4 and how new mini lost frames though the CPU is 4-5 times faster. GMA 950 is garbage. Heck a 9200 64mb matched to the core duo would kill the current offering. Anything is possible with Apple I have learned. Here to hoping:)

That is exactly why I am wondering this, the new integrated graphics chip looks to be pretty promising, and heck, even a small bump to a C2D chip would result in a 10% performance increase... hardly insignificant!

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
After seeing the specs for the "new" Mini come up, I almost thought we were back in the PPC era.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Are the intel mini s truly 6 times faster than my G4? I would trade mine in for an intel duo core, if I could feel sure that using intel chips isn't a hacker vulnerability down the road...:confused:

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
srf4real said:
I could feel sure that using intel chips isn't a hacker vulnerability down the road...:confused:

What nonsense are you sprouting? Get off whatever you are smoking :rolleyes:

Hacker vulnerability does not happen as a result of using Intel chips. Anyway I do believe these new ones are many times faster than the PPC ones.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
True, the OS is whats vulnerable as Windows has shown thousands of times.
Im really surprised more people arent talking about little old Mini going from 1 to what is 2 cpu's. In the PPC days this would be going on for months, but now in the Intel days its almost ignored. Still think they need a graphics option but the GMA 3000 thats coming has to show sooner or later so when that shows along with the next OS I guess ill buy. Not having a full featured graphics in this day and age is......just being cheap. By the way the GMA 3000 is now being sold at Dell with their middle grade base configurations. No benches yet.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
srf4real said:
Are the intel mini s truly 6 times faster than my G4? I would trade mine in for an intel duo core, if I could feel sure that using intel chips isn't a hacker vulnerability down the road...:confused:

Well, the 1.66GHz Core Duo mini encodes video in Handbrake exactly 6x faster than my 1.2GHz G4.

The chip does not in any way, shape or form lend itself to vulnerability from attack. All the responsibility falls on the operating system.

Who has been feeding you such utter nonsense, such drivel, that Intel chips make you more susceptible to attack? Because that person needs a smack up-side the head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.