Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Hi all!

I just picked up an Apple TV 4K with the intention to use it for Fitness+ (among other things as needs arise). I have a three-month trial and very much intend to use it on a paid basis after the freebie expires.

My question: I don't have an exercise bike or rower yet, or anything, really. I don't have tons of space, and I'll be doing this in my basement (6-7 foot ceilings). What would be the best gear to pick up to get going with a chunk of the workouts?

My thoughts are some resistance bands (perhaps to use to mimic a rowing workout?), dumbbells with a couple different weights (10-15 lb?), and perhaps one of those adjustable kettle bells as I can do basic swings with by not going above my shoulders.

Eventually I'll get a basic exercise bike and/or rower that's easy to move in and out of closet storage, but right now I want to keep costs down and see how I can do strength and HIIT workouts without turning the basement into a gym.

Thank you!
Ian

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Having used Fitness+ for a few weeks now I think the best investment to get started is a couple different sets of dumbbells (think one pair that you could do ~10 bicep curls and a lighter set).

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 20, 2007
Having used Fitness+ for a few weeks now I think the best investment to get started is a couple different sets of dumbbells (think one pair that you could do ~10 bicep curls and a lighter set).
Good tip, @bodonnell202. Thank you! It's been so long since I've been to the gym, I forget which weights I was swinging before the pandemic hit. I'll do some research and will get a couple different weights that are appropriate for my "training" level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.