Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-958821.html?tag=fd_top

from Nintendo too! odd...

Nintendo said in a statement that it has sold its 49 percent interest in Rare--developer of games based on popular Nintendo franchises such as Donkey Kong--but declined to name the buyer or price.

But Peter MacDougall, executive vice president at Nintendo of America, confirmed to CNET News.com that the sale was part of Rare's acquisition by Microsoft, which now owns Nintendo's 49 percent stake and Rare's majority share.

"The entire company has been sold to Microsoft," he said.

PyroTurtle

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2001
10 Minutes from Disneyland
nooooooooooooooooooooo!
this sucks...
i honostly wanted the X-Box to go down in flames, but this means that there might actually be good games for the system, and that means i might have to buy it....arg...
darn nintendo...they make so many RIGHT decisions, i wonder why they made this one...
unless they don't get the lead guy at Rare (he was rumored to be leaving for square)....
enough rambling from the game-obsesed turtle...

(i can't spell well either)

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
I don't know why you guys flame the xbox just because it says microsoft. I am not fond of their operating sysytem but that is it. the xbox is awesome. the only reason i choose the ps2 over it is because it has more games that i like. but by far the xbox has better graphics and about everything else compared to a system. i just think it is stupid when half the people on this site dis something like the xbox when they probably havnt even played it. it is just like the pc people bashing are macs when they have never even touched one.

iJon

DaedalusDE

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2002
Long Island, NY
i dont like the xbox, but not because its made by microsoft...
i dont like it because:

1) it takes up more space than a 1987 buick station wagon
2) the controller is a HUGE rip off of the dreamcast controller
3) microsoft makes really bad 1st party games so it buys up all of the really good 3rd party companies
4) it ruined Halo (i dont care how good it is on xbox, it wouldve been 100x better on a pc/mac... besides FPS dont work on console controllers unless its using the N64 controller [which was brilliant] i mean just look at unreal tournament for PS2)
5) the really good games are "made for xbox ONLY" games AKA House of the Dead 3 and Crazy Taxi 3

the fact that its manufactured by satan doesnt exactly help either...

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by DaedalusDE
i dont like the xbox, but not because its made by microsoft...
i dont like it because:

1) it takes up more space than a 1987 buick station wagon
2) the controller is a HUGE rip off of the dreamcast controller
3) microsoft makes really bad 1st party games so it buys up all of the really good 3rd party companies
4) it ruined Halo (i dont care how good it is on xbox, it wouldve been 100x better on a pc/mac... besides FPS dont work on console controllers unless its using the N64 controller [which was brilliant] i mean just look at unreal tournament for PS2)
5) the really good games are "made for xbox ONLY" games AKA House of the Dead 3 and Crazy Taxi 3

the fact that its manufactured by satan doesnt exactly help either...
Yeah it is pretty huge. I just wish my ps2 had ethernet, the hard drive and the graphics that pump that thing. those are really the only things i like about it. and you are right about the controller, it is the most difficult controller to use, it is so damn big, but that have made smaller versions which make it somewhat better.

iJon

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
My biggest problems with the Xbox:

M$ chooses to buy out game companies instead of actually inticing them to develop for the platform.

This is inexcusable and will forever reflect badly on the Xbox.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
thats sucks, Rare have made the radest games

They made Donkey Kong,Perfect Dark, Golden Eye....... they rock

I wonder why a M$ want it for , this could give them power

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
This gave me a bad feeling too...but...

MS is fond of buying what it can't make itself, this is no different, except that Nintendo let them have a company they owned! It is absolutley stupid for them to let MS have those developers, at least as much as letting them have the franchise characters Rare made...
Unless Nintendo knows something we don't like most of Rare's talent has left the company. I remember reading something about a large amount of developers leaving rare to make another dev company called "Eigth wonder" or something like that...

I think Nintendo, if they really did sell it to Mickeysoft, is either absolutely dumb and making bad business desisions (like apple 1993-1997) or they feel/know rare is worthless.

Also, did you know that ken lobb, the guy from Nintendo left to go work at MS too? He was close buddies with the guys at Rare...the Bastard prolly was the one behind that (if its true).

I like Nintendo, and Sony, but, if Rare is still got some talent worth noticing, it sucks to be Nintendo right now...

iscripter

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Video Game history!

I am a video game lover and I have been playing video games since the days of the atari 2600. In the past there have been many companys that have come out with game systems that were ahead of its time with better graphics. But these companies never realize that it takes more than really good graphics to make a great game and game console. You have to look at the total package (game play and graphics). I don't think microsoft understands this at all. All they have done is thrown a PC into a proprietary box with the fastest graphics card they can find. And they expect everybody to think there game system is better because they have a faster processor or faster graphics card. I don't think so!

Here is a list of gaming systems that were ahead of its time with better graphics, but for one reason or another they did not win that era's console war because the other guys had the over all better games.
1. Turbo Graphix 16--competition=nintendo and sega
2. Atari Lynx--competition=nintendo gameboy
3. Neo Geo--competition= super nintendo and sega genesis
4. Atari Jaguar--competition= super nintendo and sega genesis
5. Panasonic 3DO--competition= Playstaion1 and Sega Saturn
6. Sega Saturn--competition= Playstation1 and Panasonic 3DO
7. Sega Dream Cast--competition= Playstation1 and Nintendo 64

iJon we are not bashing the xbox simply because it is made by microsoft. We are bashing the xbox because we have played it and it sucks and is fugly.:eek: IMO the xbox will fall to the way side and wind up in the video game junk yard.

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Re: Video Game history!

Originally posted by iscripter
I am a video game lover and I have been playing video games since the days of the atari 2600.
Go Robot Tank! :D

Bobd

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by Durandal7
My biggest problems with the Xbox:

M$ chooses to buy out game companies instead of actually inticing them to develop for the platform.

This is inexcusable and will forever reflect badly on the Xbox.

To me, that sounds quite like what Apple is doing, ie buying digital video/audio software companies in order to have the exclusivity of that particular software...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Bobd

To me, that sounds quite like what Apple is doing, ie buying digital video/audio software companies in order to have the exclusivity of that particular software...

That might be partially true, but I think that the number of people affected are much greater in the case of M$. I for one was extremely mad the day I heard M$ bought Bungie. The Blizzard Ghost event seemed to be a better approach - provide the game company money for an XBox game. This thing with Rare is sad, but maybe it might give the XBox some needed life and larger selection of games.

It would be nice to see them also co-produce PC/Mac games, but that still has to happen with Bungie.....

D :(

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Well I jusy know this isnt good for the Gamecube.....Unless the majority of the games will be ported over to both the cube and the Xbox

chrisfx811

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
louisville
sony dumped millions into square soft, but that's ok. sony heaved money at rockstar to keep gta3 an exclusive... but that's ok. sony made an over-hyped console, with confusing architecture... and then couldn't deliver the goods on launch day... but no big deal right?? i love my imac, but i damn sure love my xbox as well. granted i like my brother's ps2 and gamecube as well. but give me a break, xbox is easier to develop for, more powerful, has a better online strategy than sony or nintendo, and has released a new controller for all you people with girlie hands! yeah, the xbox is big... but this is america, and we like our $h!t big! i guess it's too bad you can't turn in on it's side and watch it scratch games though... or when someone bumps it it falls and damages the game inside it. size wise nintendo takes the cake, but the more developers push the xbox the better the games will get. and how many of the ps2 games suck royally? alot! and for the guy crying about halo... get over yourself. not everyone likes playin games on a pc/mac... i like halo on my huge ass tv with that big controller in my hands, not huddled all alone in my room with a 2 liter of warm diet pepsi twist and a box of 3 week old krispy kreme donuts on my lap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.