Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProgRocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
I'll be buying my first iPad (mini 6/7) and have been reading about mirror and casting. What exactly are they, what are the differences and which are the best apps to use for that ? I have an NVIDIA Shield (android tv) connected to my TV. It would be interesting to see my mini screen on a large screen tv. Also can this be done with an Apple Laptop ? I'm a musician, and having a DAW on a large screen sounds great. It seems there are many ways to go about this, which are the best and most stable ?

Thanks...

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
I never heard of casting, but Screen Mirroring is a feature that allows you to stream your display to any TV with AirPlay enabled. I think you can also use a compatible cable with the device's charging port to offer a more stable connection ^-^

Though I don't ever mirror/display my screen so I'm not really sure how it works.. I'm just going off of a few offhand terms I've heard

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Screen Mirroring is just replicating your device's screen on the TV. AirPlay is Apple's version of "casting". This is putting some other content on the TV, such as a YouTube video, Netflix, photos/videos in your library, etc.

Both of these can be done with Macs too. I'll sometimes use my TV as an external monitor wirelessly.

You'll need an AirPlay compatible device to do this though (i.e. Apple TV, Roku, many modern TV have it built in now). I'm not too familiar with Nvidia Shield, but it looks like it doesn't support AirPlay, at least not natively. Sounds like there may be some 3rd party apps for the Shield to do it though.

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Screen Mirroring is just replicating your device's screen on the TV. AirPlay is Apple's version of "casting". This is putting some other content on the TV, such as a YouTube video, Netflix, photos/videos in your library, etc.

Both of these can be done with Macs too. I'll sometimes use my TV as an external monitor wirelessly.

You'll need an AirPlay compatible device to do this though (i.e. Apple TV, Roku, many modern TV have it built in now). I'm not too familiar with Nvidia Shield, but it looks like it doesn't support AirPlay, at least not natively. Sounds like there may be some 3rd party apps for the Shield to do it though.
Yeah- I always mix up terms when I don't know what they really mean. Thanks for giving some extra info - it's helpful for both of us ;3

ProgRocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2018
Thanks guys. I'll have to check around for AirPlay on my devices. I don't believe the Shield has that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.