Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tugger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
iPhone XR - v. 15.4.1
Apple Watch 6 - v. 8.5.1

I have my iPhone set to automatically activate Do Not Disturb at 00:00 and deactivate at 07:00. On the Watch in Settings / Focus, I have "Mirror my iPhone" set to On. There are no manually created Focus items on the Watch.

This was working perfectly until one or two recent iPhone and/or Watch OS updates. What happens now is that without fail the iPhone and Watch enter DND mode at midnight, but, when the DND ends on the iPhone in the morning, the Watch remains in DND mode (little crescent moon on screen). So I have to now remember to go into Control Center on the Watch every morning and manually turn-off DND, otherwise I don't receive any notifications on the Watch.

I've done a simultaneous forced-restart procedure on the iPhone and the Watch without result. I'm reluctant to re-pair the devices because otherwise they have no other problems working in tandem, and it seems like it will be a huge hassle getting everything set-up again.

Any simpler suggestions or fixes? Thanks a lot.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I’ve noticed the same thing intermittently. I haven’t figured out a pattern. Latest iOS and WatchOS on SE.

I should add - think it’s delayed that the watch doesn’t update. It does seem to update eventually, just takes a little time. I may adjust the automation to put the phone into airplane mode and back and see if that forces the update.

Last edited:

tugger

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
I’ve noticed the same thing intermittently. I haven’t figured out a pattern. Latest iOS and WatchOS on SE.
Thanks for your reply. My watch updated to 8.6 overnight, and today for the first time it automatically came out of DND mode simultaneously with my phone. Hopefully this wasn't just a fluke.

Update 6 Jun 2022:

In fact, it was a fluke. In the following days the watch would sometimes come out of DND simultaneous with the iPhone, but sometimes not. I've now discovered that what actually works is using the the linked iPhone to unlock the watch. Doing this when first putting on the watch each day, instead of manually entering the watch's unlock code, reliably terminates DND mode on the watch. Over a two week period this has worked every time, so no more need to use the watch's control center to exit DND.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.