Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
I recently acquired a 27" 2017 iMac and had some questions about gaming on it, as well as future support from Apple. I've successfully installed Windows 10 and run a few benchmarks, so it looks good so far.

1) The bundled GPU, a Radeon Pro 580 8GB, shows up as Radeon 580X under Windows/Boot Camp. Does anyone know if this is the same as the mobile RX 580, a cutdown version of the desktop chip, or a full RX 580?

2) Is anyone aware if this iMac is a good candidate for an eGPU, both under MacOS and Boot Camp?

3) Is it possible (or even desirable) to install Windows 11? Is there a preferred method?

4) How much longer is Apple likely to support this model in future OS updates? Or Intel Macs at all?

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
It really depends on what you are playing, Minecraft? Should be fine with your current specs, Microsoft flight simulator? Prepare for fires and 3rd degree burns. As for the Gpu showing up wrong, it’s probably fine. Win 11 has a few issues but win 10 should suit your needs if you don’t want to go through the hassle. Support wise my 2015 mbp is still using a supported OS, so I would say around another 9-11 years. Ps: Mac’s are not optimized for gaming, any super good looking games are gonna chug, it will work for decent or older games, just don’t expect it to perform like a proper gaming rig

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
4) How much longer is Apple likely to support this model in future OS updates? Or Intel Macs at all?
You should expect just under 2 more years of Apple support for Mac OS Ventura, which is the latest OS your iMac will natively support. Source: https://endoflife.date/macos

Even if the system is no longer supported, as long as you're not doing anything risky, like opening executable email attachments or installing software you're not sure about, you should still be fine.

Mac can also be patched manually to a latest OS using the OpenCore Legacy patcher.

Last edited:

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
You should expect just under 2 more years of Apple support for Mac OS Ventura. Source: https://endoflife.date/macos
Even if the system is no longer supported, as long as you're not doing anything risky, like opening executable email attachments or installing software you're not sure about, you should still be fine
Mac can also be patched manually to a latest OS using the OpenCore Legacy patcher.
Ventura will get him around 2 more years, but if I’m not mistaken, I think it is possible to upgrade that models OS, and yes, open core patcher will help a lot with keeping it up to date

Reactions: imrazor

Andrey84

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
Greater London, United Kingdom
Ventura will get him around 2 more years, but if I’m not mistaken, I think it is possible to upgrade that models OS, and yes, open core patcher will help a lot with keeping it up to date
No, unfortunately all the 2017 machines have been dropped from Sonoma. Ventura is the last OS one can install on any 2017 Mac.

Last edited:

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Not too surprising that the 2017 iMac is getting dropped, since it's almost 'Vintage' status from an Apple Support perspective. And yes, it seems Ventura is what the iMac came with and no OS upgrades were offered after I re-installed from Recovery. That's unfortunate, but I'm not sure there's any pressing reason to use OpenCore or DosDude's patcher. I've used OpenCore in the past with a MacPro5,1 and it was a bit glitchy, though not nearly as bad as a hackintosh.

Astro13

Cancelled
Nov 4, 2023
I’m running Monterey on my 2015 mbp, and I’m still getting updates… Which makes me question why they are killing Ventura so quickly.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
It's the mobile RX580, the 580X came out a year later and is a slight overclock of the 580, going from 1GHZ to 1.077GHz, with no other differences. The 2017 iMac GPUs were switched with the X variants in the 2019 iMacs.

Reactions: Andrey84
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.