Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
Ok, I am a freak on neat organization, as I have always carefully scanned my art work on DVD and BD covers and assigned them to my movies in the iTunes library. But after upgrading my devices to iOS 8.x, some of those album arts are lost and replaced by an ugly grey patch. They still appear ok on iTunes though, so this I believe is strictly an iOS problem. This happens to my iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5G, and iPad mini Retina.

On the Apple support discussion forums, some people have reported success after converting their album art into a square format (for TV shows), or rectangular (for movies), with a particular dimension. First of all this seems a lot of work for redoing huge iTunes libraries, and this workaround does not seem to work for everyone. So I hesitate on embarking on such a tedious task.

My experience is also mixed. Initially I suspect art work files that were too large, e.g. >1MB or with dimensions exceeding 1,000 pixels in each linear side would get rejected, but I have some movies that shows their album art ok even with large dimensions, on my iOS devices. I tried shrinking the linear dimensions of one particular album art that was missing into something small, like 200 x 500 pixels, but still no dice. So this disproves the theory that too large an album art would cause this problem.

This missing album art behavior seems completely random, and also seems to happen to music files too, but only about <5% of my music-only albums have had their album art replaced by an ugly grey patch. Those missing album arts are not any particularly different from the okay ones, all with dimensions somewhere near 1400 x 1400 pixels.

This oddity does not seem to happen to iOS 7.x. I know this is only a cosmetic issue, but it bothers the hell out of me.

I am sure some people would have the same problem, but I haven't seen a thread here discussing this issue, so I opened this one.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
Happened to my music library with purchases from the iTunes store. Some came back on their own, some are still missing...tried all the fixes.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The iTunes database isn't the most stable database in the world. I've had tracks disappear, and 'lost' tracks too.

I've had to rebuild my iTunes database several times in a week to try to fix it. I just hope it's not so full of crap that it crashes.:eek:

A utility that cleaned out the database would be nice...

BergerFan

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2008
Mos Eisley
I'm also a bit OCD about my meta data and cover arts being accurate.
Before I got my iPhone 6 Plus, I had issues with iTunes not syncing all of my music to my 5S, which still appears to be an issue, judging by the posts on Apple's forums.
That issue is fixed on the newer hardware, but I now also have this issue with cover art not appearing on random/not all the TV shows, even though I've removed/re-added from/to the Library, deleted and re-added the cover art, and everything else. :confused:

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I created an automator service that converts all my tv show and movie posters to 1500 pixels tall by 1000 pixels wide pngs. I never have any issue.

Music though, there has been some quirks with artwork and a few songs but nothing consistent.

I filter everything into playlist and set the playlist to sync.

GoSUV

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
The frustrating part of all this is the inconsistency of its behavior. If converting all of my album arts to some fixed dimension like 1500(H) x 1000(W) pixels work, I would do it in a heartbeat and resolve this once and for all. But it isn't like this. I will wait for a fix in a future iOS release then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.