Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JajoDayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
So I had recently bought a used MacBook Pro 2016 13 inch Touch Bar from a local seller. After some use I've noticed the speakers sounded a bit funky so I went ahead to open it but noticed that some of the screws were worn down. Upon taking the bottom cover off I immediately noticed that there was a bunch of missing screws and a scratch in the board. While checking for anymore damage I saw some components were missing from the board and went to check a scan of the motherboard and see there seems to be 4 missing capacitors. Now that has me wondering what the affects of them missing could be. This MacBook seems to have these issues so could that be causing them? The screen seems to be a bit dodgy with the colors being overexposed and it seems to flicker when on a white or grey screen. Then the Touch ID seems to not work. It gives me a enrollment error? I checked the ribbon for it and it seems to be perfectly fine and even still stuck down with adhesive. Is there anyway to fix the missing capacitors?

Attachments

• JPEG_20200730_003918.jpg
    JPEG_20200730_003918.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 326
  • InkedAlmbYYyoZIMFJp2D_1_LI.jpg
    InkedAlmbYYyoZIMFJp2D_1_LI.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 161
  • unknown.png
    unknown.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 168

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I’d be more concerned on WTH did the seller open it for? Everything is soldered... Water damage? Battery replacement? That logic board is severely damaged. Problem is no one knows the exact specs of those capacitors unless you can get access to another logic board to test and compare it with.
I hope you got an awesome price.....

Reactions: JajoDayz

JajoDayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2020
I’d be more concerned on WTH did the seller open it for? Everything is soldered... Water damage? Battery replacement? That logic board is severely damaged. Problem is no one knows the exact specs of those capacitors unless you can get access to another logic board to test and compare it with.
I hope you got an awesome price.....
Honestly, I've been trying to figure that out myself. I can tell their hand slipped and scratched the board near those capacitors. It seems like they tried to take the motherboard out so potentially they wanted to replace the keyboard as they're known to become faulty in which it is on this MacBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.