Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimiB33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
Hello. I have a MacBook Pro from 2015. It's hard drive is quite full and I would like to remove duplicate photos. I have long been aware that many duplicate file finder apps/software search only for name and/or file size. Since any of us have old photos taken on cameras what frequently have the same name, that could be a disaster, and many people are unaware of this and lose so many precious memories. I have read many articles over the years about a resident duplicate photo finder inside the MAC software, but could never locate it on my Mac. About 7 years ago, I had the need to add a few printers, and when Big Sur came out and I upgraded, I found out there were no drivers for them. I spent many hours working with Apple to find a work-around when I got Big Sur, I cannot do so again and there is one in Monterey, so I am still using Big Sur. So, why can't I locate this internal function? And why do duplicate photos to show up in my photos app? And why don't I have a duplicates folder, as I have seen mentioned in multiple threads? I really don't want to install a 3rd party app as they all have flaws (search by name/size only, method of removal, user-unfriendly interface, etc.). As an aside, I don't understand why Apple thought it was a good idea no to offer a choice of options to users of whether to copy or move photos (on iPhone as well!). If you have 1,000 photos and want to move 400 of them into appropriate folders, why would you want o keep that 400 in your main folder? It makes searching very difficult and time-involved. Even if they are only icons stored in the Cloud. And in recent years, when Apple added search function for photos - seriously? It was a fantastic, long overdue feature, but the indexing and functionally is the worst! You can search for things like dog, house, couch, car, but not things like children, couple, and soooo many more! Better functionality Apple! Ok, rant over. TYIA.

KimiB33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2023
I am not even WARE OF VENTURA BEING RELEASED YET, BUT ALL THE THREADS AND (sorry, hit caplock), that I have read, for years, reference what I described. Venture would be new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.