Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayhawk1941

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Does anyone have the Find My widget in Notification Center on iOS 13? I used the Find My Friends widget on a daily basis in iOS 12!

Reactions: adampk17

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I’m going to report a missing feature to Apple. Why they would pull this is beyond me.

Its ridiculous. I've downgraded and am staying on iOS 12 because of this. They deleted it from iOS 13, iPad OS 13 and Catalina.

I reported it multiple times through the feedback app as missing and sent an email to Tim Cook.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
While looking for the "missing" export to PDF functionality (which is now in Shortcuts), I stumbled across the shortcut for finding friends. In the Shortcuts app, on the Gallery page, near the top should be a "Shortcuts from Your Apps" section with recommendations including "Find (person)". This seems to be a worthy replacement for the Find My Friends widget.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Yeah it seems pretty silly to not have a widget for it, but I just made Siri shortcuts like @purdnost did and for my purposes, it functions the same.
I suppose this could be Apple's attempt to move a lot of common functions over to their Shortcuts app, but I agree that the Find My app warrants its own Widget. Maybe Apple will re-introduce it with the rumored location tracking tags.

Reactions: BeeGood

adampk17

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Seattle Area
Yeah it seems pretty silly to not have a widget for it, but I just made Siri shortcuts like @purdnost did and for my purposes, it functions the same.

How does it function the same? Unless I’m missing something. You can’t view people’s location on the widget screen with a shortcut, can you?

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
How does it function the same? Unless I’m missing something. You can’t view people’s location on the widget screen with a shortcut, can you?
You're correct, you cannot see the person's location, or distance from you in the widget, which is why Apple should bring back a dedicated widget. For my purposes, I like to see an exact location on the map, so the Shortcuts workaround works.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

No you’re right. That’s why I was careful to say “for my purposes”. You definitely can’t see people’s location at a glance without a dedicated widget, but I mainly use Find My to get an ETA for someone or to turn a leave/arrival notification on, and those things require going into the app anyway.

Hakiroto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
I'm wondering if it's only temporarily removed. The rumours of Apple releasing the tags that you can attach to devices and track are pretty strong. Maybe they're refactoring the widget to accommodate these new devices as well and we'll see the widget return after the rumoured October event. It's a shot in the dark, I know, but I can't really think of a good reason why they'd remove it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm wondering if it's only temporarily removed. The rumours of Apple releasing the tags that you can attach to devices and track are pretty strong. Maybe they're refactoring the widget to accommodate these new devices as well and we'll see the widget return after the rumoured October event. It's a shot in the dark, I know, but I can't really think of a good reason why they'd remove it.

That actually does make sense - perhaps the widget needs to be reconfigured so much to accommodate the tags, and keeping it in iOS 13 would have given too much away?

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Thought it was just me. I used that widget probably more than any other. Hoping your right that it comes back with the tag device release (if it happens)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.