Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe`s Phone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2021
Hello y'all,
I was just sitting here with my brother and we had been wondering why there was no Home button as of iPhone 10. Then I thought directly I just ask my question in here here there are certainly many who know about it.

I would also be interested in whether you miss the button.

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
Not at all.

The in laws have an SE with the home button and it just feels so clunky.

Reactions: Sikh

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
The answer to why is pretty simple, if you hold an iPhone X/11/12 next to a home-button-having iPhone of similar size (6,7,8) you'll notice that because there's no "forehead" above the screen, or "chin" below the screen with the home button.

That allows the screen to be larger in a phone that's about the same size.

The only time I miss the home button and touchID is when I'm wearing a mask and trying to unlock my phone. FaceID (the face-scanning replacement for the fingerprint sensor, TouchID) doesn't work with a mask on. That being said, TouchID doesn't work with gloves on, which I'd be wearing about half the year outside anyway.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
1620998800904.png

Here's a photo of an iPhone 8, X and 8 Plus that illustrates what I mean. Because of the X screen's taller shape, it can be almost as large as the display on the plus phone, in the body of a phone only slightly larger than the 8.

Reactions: tranceking26

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've been jailbroken on one iPhone or another since 2011. Activator, which allows you to designate any button, any gesture for something else has allowed me to use my iPhones home button free (when I chose to do so).

So no, I don't miss the home button. In fact, when I switch to my 6s+ or my iPad it becomes a little irritating to have to press a button rather than just swiping up. Even when I was on my Pixel for a year I didn't have to use a home button. Don't miss it.

Reactions: Sikh

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Ya' know what apple did with all those extra white home buttons they never used on iphones?
Yup,
they made them into white iMac bezels!

• Haha
Reactions: trevpimp

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Don't miss the home button one bit and love the swipe interface of the newer designed phones. After they implemented it on iPad OS I rarely even use the home button on my iPad anymore..

Reactions: eyoungren

DaveSanDiego

macrumors member
May 12, 2020
One thing that Apple doesn't understand (nor do other vendors)... is that there are some of us in the world (about 10%) where touch screens are problematic.... I can touch/tap, but swiping/dragging is a big issue. I cannot use my wifes iPhone12 because of this... so I opted for the lesser iPhoneSE because it DID have a real home button.

Should the need arise for a new phone, and the home button is totally gone, then I'll be forced to go back to not having a phone at all.

Reactions: secretk

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I missed the home button, for the reason I frequently pick the phone in reverse direction. Up become down. Need to check the side button to ensure I am holding it right.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I've adapted to gestures and they're fine, but I do miss the home button a lot. I find the old design more aesthetically pleasing overall as well. Old does not equal bad, it's all about personal preference.

Reactions: !!!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I was just thinking about this today. Objectively my 12 Pro Max is superior to my previous phone, an 8 Plus, but I often find myself missing the 8 plus, especially the home button and TouchID.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I know I'm totally dreaming here but I would be the happiest customer ever if Apple maintained two distinct body styles- new 12 style in the various sizes and the old 8/8+ style. Same specs, just different form factors so everyone can have the style they like without having to cling to an aging phone.

Reactions: !!! and mpavilion

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
I know I'm totally dreaming here but I would be the happiest customer ever if Apple maintained two distinct body styles- new 12 style in the various sizes and the old 8/8+ style. Same specs, just different form factors so everyone can have the style they like without having to cling to an aging phone.
there was a rumor that apple was going to introduce an iPhone SE Plus in the spring, but summer is almost here and those didn't seem to materialize.

Either way, you can get an iPhone 11's chip inside an iPhone 8's body with the SE - for a very reasonable price.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
ah, of course, the "buy more things" approach

Tons of people have Apple Watches already. I was just clarifying your comments for the OP or anyone else who isn't aware of this.

Not sure what other solution Apple could offer at the same level of security with the current iPhone offerings, which of course don't have both Touch ID and Face ID on the same phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.