Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamalmaharaj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Hello all, really hoping someone here can help me out as this is a nightmare issue for me. Yesterday I started noticing that certain files on my albums were going missing from iTunes (with the exclamation mark), and I cannot locate them in the folders where they are supposed to be, or anywhere else on my computer, almost as if someone opened up random folders and deleted songs. It only seems to be affecting my Apple Lossless Files however.

I have not recently updated iTunes, but I am on the current version of both iTunes and Yosemite.

Reactions: iRock1

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
First of all, do you have a Time Machine backup? Also, have you tried to Spotlight Search for them to see if they've just moved?

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
This has happened to me too. I guess it might have something to do with that atrocious crap that is iCloud Music/iTunes Match. Do you happen to use one of these services?

Reactions: AFEPPL

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
There was a similar thread a little while ago, the OP had turned off "Copy files to iTunes Media folder", and was adding things to iTunes and then trashing the originals - not realizing that the originals were the only copy. You might want to check your settings.

In over a decade of using iTunes, I have never had it delete a file. This is not really surprising, since except when you are adding or editing metadata it never touches them.

A.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
There was a similar thread a little while ago, the OP had turned off "Copy files to iTunes Media folder", and was adding things to iTunes and then trashing the originals - not realizing that the originals were the only copy. You might want to check your settings.

In over a decade of using iTunes, I have never had it delete a file. This is not really surprising, since except when you are adding or editing metadata it never touches them.

A.

Sorry for the late response (traveling), but that happens to be true only if you are not using one of the services I mentioned before. Otherwise you and your files are under your own risk.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Sorry for the late response (traveling), but that happens to be true only if you are not using one of the services I mentioned before. Otherwise you and your files are under your own risk.

I was an iTunes Match user for many years. Never had iTunes touch my local files.

A.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I was an iTunes Match user for many years. Never had iTunes touch my local files.

A.

Lucky you then, because iTunes Match can mess with your local files—that's a well-known and documented fact.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Lucky you then, because iTunes Match can mess with your local files—that's a well-known and documented fact.

I do not think so. You are welcome to provide links that prove your case.

I think rather that some people have come to the conclusion that iTunes, which has no known mechanism or reason to touch files - except with user intervention - has mysteriously woken up and modified things at random.

Given Occam's Razor, I think it is much more likely that something else has changed the files, and iTunes is merely reporting this event. I gave an earlier example of just such an event earlier in the thread.

A.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
I do not think so. You are welcome to provide links that prove your case.

I think rather that some people have come to the conclusion that iTunes, which has no known mechanism or reason to touch files - except with user intervention - has mysteriously woken up and modified things at random.

Given Occam's Razor, I think it is much more likely that something else has changed the files, and iTunes is merely reporting this event. I gave an earlier example of just such an event earlier in the thread.

A.

Search on Google—there are plenty of cases of iTunes Match messing with users' libraries... (So I'm sad to tell you that your theory is just not correct.)

I've never touched any of my local films. Still, iTunes is reporting some of them as missing. The only possible explanation is that iTunes' upload/download process sometimes get broken—and I've witnessed that by myself.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
Apple does not agree with you

You may wish to review the actual statement by Apple rather than depending on poor article titles, to whit:

Apple has confirmed only that it has received reports of music deletion. It has not been able to reproduce the problem. In spite of that, it will make changes to iTunes (presumably to help users not delete their files). No bug has been found, no cases of mass deletion have been verified.

A.

iRock1

macrumors 65816
Apr 23, 2011
You may wish to review the actual statement by Apple rather than depending on poor article titles, to whit:

Apple has confirmed only that it has received reports of music deletion. It has not been able to reproduce the problem. In spite of that, it will make changes to iTunes (presumably to help users not delete their files). No bug has been found, no cases of mass deletion have been verified.

A.

I guess we'll just have to way a few weeks (or, at Apple's current pace, a few months) in order to determine whether there is something wrong in the music ecosystem (meaning OS X, iTunes, Apple Music, iCloud Library or iTunes Match) or not. By now it's all assumptions, though I feel biased towards the Apple's-error theory naturally, since I've experienced similar cases by myself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.