Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Does anyone else have this issue? Can't see my battery, wifi, time, etc.

MacBook Pro M2 Max 14"

screenshot-2023-08-08-at-7-18-10-pm-png.2243470

Edit: Fix is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/missing-menu-bar-icons.2398301/post-32395692

Last edited:

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Mine is working normally. Is this on the built-in display or an external display? What are the resolution and scaling settings for the display?

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 9.32.55 AM.jpg

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Mine is working normally. Is this on the built-in display or an external display? What are the resolution and scaling settings for the display?

View attachment 2244607
Both the built-in and external displays have this issue and I think it's possibly caused by switching screens (e.g. unplugging my clamshell MBP from my display, to use in laptop mode). My external display is scaled to the most space:

Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 9.08.05 PM.png

And my primary (laptop) display is set to something in the middle of "Default" and "More Space"

fredric100

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Fixed this, at least for now, by toggling

System Preferences > Control Center > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > Always
System Preferences > Control Center > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > Never
System Preferences > Control Center > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > Always

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Fixed this, at least for now, by toggling

System Preferences > Control Center > Automatically hide and show the menu bar > Never
Didn't fix my issue unfortunately. In fact none of the toggles in Control Center made a difference

fredric100

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2007
Didn't fix my issue unfortunately. In fact none of the toggles in Control Center made a difference

Update: After doing the Menu Bar toggle in Control Center, the Menu Bar disappeared again 20 mins. later.

Next, I reinstalled the Sonoma 14.0 Public Beta from System Recovery, and I now have the menu bar back again -- for the moment.

M2 Mac Mini / MacOS 14.0 Beta (23A5312d)

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
I'd try reinstalling the beta but I just don't have the time to deal with putting things back together. I'm just gonna deal with the quirks for now and let this serve as a reminder to my future self not to install the beta on my daily driver xD ... Which Apple says to you right up front but I totally ignored.

Emmanuel.th

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2023
I has same issues when restart but wait more time other thing will appear and sometime will disappear when normal behaviour. I give up and move to Ventura

jesus_sanse

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2020
I have the same issue. It happens some times. I restart the Mac and this issue disapear. I have a M1 Mac Mini.

MakaniKai

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 26, 2023
Quit the Control Center process in Activity Monitor. It will relaunch and they'll come back

It worked! It said it was not responding. I quit it, and it immediately came back, with the date and time and battery, etc.

Thanks so much!

Reactions: gdbleb

thomas_mac

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2023
Fastest way to fix this obvious OS bug is:
1. click on login icon (usually the icon between bluetooth and battery icon).
2. Login window and re-login

PS: This happened to me when I screen mirrored to Apple TV.

boardrunnr

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Fastest way to fix this obvious OS bug is:
1. click on login icon (usually the icon between bluetooth and battery icon).
2. Login window and re-login

PS: This happened to me when I screen mirrored to Apple TV.
The issue, at least for me, was that most/all of the icons disappear - so the Login Icon wasn't even showing.

However, @Planey29 's suggestion of quitting Control Center in Activity Monitor worked for me!! SO much more convenient than restarting everything again...

(For reference: My issue is also when connected to a ASD, on a 2020 Intel MBP, Sonoma 14.3.1)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.