Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dnenciu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Hello,

I have a macbook pro 17" core2duo 2.33ghz.

I had a scratch on the screen and had the coating replaced, but when I got the laptop back it would not go to sleep when I closed the lid.

I have did some research and opened the laptop and it seems the "sleep magnet " next to the lcd is missing.

I looked in the apple service manual but the "sleep magnet" described in there does not exist next to my lcd so I assume that the 17" is diff than the 15".

All I see is an oval hole on the side of the frame so I assume the magnet was in that hole.

I tried to find this sleep magnet but nobody has it on the web and if I go to the apple store they will charge me a lot of money just to replace it.

If anybody knows how the "sleep magnet" for a 17" macbook pro looks exactly, and can give me more info on it I would really appreciate it.

I am really desperate as I already had all this problems with the laptop and now this happens:(

Thank you.

Dragos.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Complain that the machine went in for an LCD repair and came out with a sleep issue -- likely due to the sleep magnet not coming back with the machine.

It isn't unusual for machines to come back with problems related to a repair done on the machine.

dnenciu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Complain that the machine went in for an LCD repair and came out with a sleep issue -- likely due to the sleep magnet not coming back with the machine.

It isn't unusual for machines to come back with problems related to a repair done on the machine.

Well I did but I am in canada and the shop is in US and is a lot of hassle to send it back. And I already staid without it for 2 weeks. I want to try to fix it myself if posible so I don't have to wait.

The shop said that they found two magnets in the shop and will send it to me.

I just need to know if anybody knows how the sleep magnet looks for the 17" mbp?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.