Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WarMaster115

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2019
Hi guys, I’ve looked around the forum and found a couple of solutions that might work but don’t know which one exactly applies to my particular situation, as I am a noob when it comes to terminal and commands. So i would be very greatful if u could assist me with this problem.

Like many other users (thousands, according to google) I wanted to install a windows OS via bootcamp assistant in order to get the best from both worlds, aaaand stuff went wrong. Long story short, windows couldn’t install and I had to launch bootcamp again in order to restore the created partition back to my macintosh hd, only that didn’t work either. It just said it couldn’t do it (thanks, apple) and i was left with a missing drive space of ~400GB and a headache. I tried to use the “diskutil resize” command, repair permissions and ran first aid, but that free space is just gone somewhere.

as far as I can see there is only 1 way to restore everything back to normal - completely wipe my hard drive? Is there really no other way to fix this garbage issue without wiping the slate clean? It will take me weeks to restore the files...

I am running iMac 27” 2017 with a 2TB Fusion Drive, High Sierra (with that new APFS system).
so far all the solutions I’ve seen are for normal ssd’s or hdd’s,no? Or it doesn’t really matter?
- will post screenshots soon, currently at work

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Follow my instructions, and I guarantee 98% success.

1. Get an external drive large enough to hold the contents of your fusion drive
2. Connect the external drive, open disk utility, erase it to APFS, GUID partition format
3. Download CarbonCopyCloner from here:
CCC is FREE to use for 30 days -- this costs you nothing
4. Use CCC to create a BOOTABLE cloned backup of your Mac partition to the backup drive
5. Now, BOOT FROM the backup drive (hold down the option key at boot continuously until the startup manager appears -- then select the backup and hit return
6. Open disk utility and ERASE the internal fusion drive to APFS.
7. Quit du and re-open CCC
8. Now, RE-clone the contents of the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
9. When done, go to the startup disk preference pane and RE-designate the fusion drive to be the boot drive.
10. Power down, disconnect the backup drive
11. Reboot.
Done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.