Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltz47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
I am trying to learn to program in 'c'.
Downloaded xcode development tools, installed those along with gcc compiler 3.3 and 4.0
When I try to compile a program that includes the statement #include <stdio.h> I get an error message, that it cannot find the file.
Using terminal, and searching around, I navigated to /usr/include/gcc/darwin - there are 3 directories, 3.3, 3.3-fast, 4.0.
These directories include various .h files such as stdint.h, etc. but no stdio.h - can anyone suggest what I should do next?
Thanks!

teh_pwnerer

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2005
ltz47,
Doesn't sound like the dev tools installed properly.. There should definately be C library header files in /usr/include.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
ltz47 said:
I am trying to learn to program in 'c'.
Downloaded xcode development tools, installed those along with gcc compiler 3.3 and 4.0
When I try to compile a program that includes the statement #include <stdio.h> I get an error message, that it cannot find the file.
Using terminal, and searching around, I navigated to /usr/include/gcc/darwin - there are 3 directories, 3.3, 3.3-fast, 4.0.
These directories include various .h files such as stdint.h, etc. but no stdio.h - can anyone suggest what I should do next?
Thanks!

Is that file in /usr/include/ ?. That's where the file would be, not in /usr/include/gcc/darwin/.... What kind of project are you trying to build in? Standard tool, or something else?

ltz47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Did an additional installation

The file was not anywhere on the disk but I then installed several other development tools including bsdsdk and x11sdk and one of those had the file.
Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.