Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stulaw11

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I think people are missing the big point about deleting/being apble to update the default apps in the App Store.

I have HUGE doubts Apple is going to let you set default apps.

I rather believe this is purely so that they can update the default apps like any other app independent of an OS update, or do bug fixes without waiting for an OS update.

I dont think this has anything to do with Apple planning to let people use a different email app etc.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
Nope... While you use the App Store to reenable the apps they don't actually re download from the App Store... They are always on your phone... When you reinstall a default app it's instant... No download.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Well I don't think it is that easy. Some of the features in the OS are dependent on those apps. I imagine this is just the first step towards setting our own default apps.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
The contacts app should just be removed period... It's redundant... All of its functions are in the phone app...

stulaw11

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Nope... While you use the App Store to reenable the apps they don't actually re download from the App Store... They are always on your phone... When you reinstall a default app it's instant... No download.

Again its Beta 1, doen't mean that's the final operation of it all.

It may not be removing the app in Beta 1 but that may be the intention in the long run to be able to update the default app through the App Store.

Obviously in the past default apps could not be updated other than a full OS update

stulaw11

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
That too.

Im sorry but anyone thinking Apple is going to let you swap default apps is living in lala land. The stock apps are hooked too deeply into the OS to swap out- Siri, suggestions in email/calendar, safari, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.