Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I have a Tripp Lite SMART500RT1U connected to my iMac 12,2 (running High Sierra). System Information shows that the UPS is present on the USB bus, but says "UPS installed: No" under "Power". I do not get the UPS settings in Energy Saver preferences, as shown all over the internet where people talk about this topic (which isn't much).

It's always been like this and I don't know why or how to correct it.

Anyone?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
This product https://www.tripplite.com/smartpro-120v-500va-300w-line-interactive-ups-1u-rack-tower-networkable-usb-db9-serial~smart500rt1u ?
"Communications Ports (USB or RS-232): These ports connect your UPS to any workstation or server. Use with Tripp Lite’s PowerAlert software and included cables to enable your computer to automatically save open files and shut down equipment during a blackout."

PowerAlert Office/Home/Medical https://www.tripplite.com/products/power-alert-office-home-medical
"PowerAlert software works with Microsoft Windows operating systems."

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
This product https://www.tripplite.com/smartpro-120v-500va-300w-line-interactive-ups-1u-rack-tower-networkable-usb-db9-serial~smart500rt1u ?
"Communications Ports (USB or RS-232): These ports connect your UPS to any workstation or server. Use with Tripp Lite’s PowerAlert software and included cables to enable your computer to automatically save open files and shut down equipment during a blackout."

PowerAlert Office/Home/Medical https://www.tripplite.com/products/power-alert-office-home-medical
"PowerAlert software works with Microsoft Windows operating systems."
I’m aware of that. It’s not relevant to Mac users. Mac OS has its own UPS management, which should be visible in the Energy Saver preferences area, as shown in many online screenshots, but is missing from my High Sierra install.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I’m aware of that. It’s not relevant to Mac users. Mac OS has its own UPS management, which should be visible in the Energy Saver preferences area, as shown in many online screenshots, but is missing from my High Sierra install.
My understanding is that the product requires additional software for those functions. The manufacturer does not provide that software for macOS. Not all Tripp Lite are compatible with OS X/macOS.
“Contact Tripp Lite if you have questions about a specific model and macOS compatibility”
https://assets.tripplite.com/instructions/macos-shutdown-instructions-en.pdf

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My understanding is that the product requires additional software for those functions. The manufacturer does not provide that software for macOS. Not all Tripp Lite are compatible with OS X/macOS.
“Contact Tripp Lite if you have questions about a specific model and macOS compatibility”
https://assets.tripplite.com/instructions/macos-shutdown-instructions-en.pdf
Yeah, I’ve seen that. They indicated “A Tripp Lite UPS that supports USB communication”, which is what my model is.

It’s still on the market, there are no firmware updates, and no Mac software. Seems odd that it wouldn’t be an appropriate model (not that I find there to be much sense in the tech industry).

I think I’ve even seen someone on a thread somewhere mention using this model in Mac OS (I have so many accounts, I didn’t want to add a new one just to reply to an old thread on a forum I don’t otherwise use).

Further, I have another UPS, by APC, with a USB port and “smart” features. It also has never worked with my Mac OS installations, and their website says the same stuff as Tripp Lite’s about why they don’t offer Mac software. It seems the Mac OS installs I’ve got are the issue, but I can’t even verify that.

I reinstalled Mac OS fairly recently, too, so that should’ve replaced any missing OS components. 🤷🏽‍♂️

johnnyOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
I have a Tripp Lite SMART500RT1U connected to my iMac 12,2 (running High Sierra). System Information shows that the UPS is present on the USB bus, but says "UPS installed: No" under "Power". I do not get the UPS settings in Energy Saver preferences, as shown all over the internet where people talk about this topic (which isn't much).

It's always been like this and I don't know why or how to correct it.

Anyone?
I have a Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT connected to an M1 Studio Mac. It used to be connected to a 27" iMac where it worked as you would expect. However, since upgrading to the Studio Mac, the Energy Saver control panel shows that a UPS is connected but that the battery level is at 0% even though the batteries were recent;y replaced and the UPS passes self-test and reads 100% battery on front panel. The Studio Mac even identifies the UPS as a Tripp Lite. Not sure why the rest of the data is incorrect but this prevents me from setting up the UPS controls in energy saver which kinda limits its usefulness as a UPS. Checked TrippLite site and there is no firmware/driver update there. I plan to submit a support ticket with them.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
With the UPS connected to the Mac's USB port, launch the System Info app and look under the USB subheading of Hardware. Then locate the item for the UPS, and select that line. The main pane of the window should show some data for the USB device, even if it's just a mfgr or produce identifier.

Please post a screenshot of any data that appears for the UPS item.

johnnyOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
With the UPS connected to the Mac's USB port, launch the System Info app and look under the USB subheading of Hardware. Then locate the item for the UPS, and select that line. The main pane of the window should show some data for the USB device, even if it's just a mfgr or produce identifier.

Please post a screenshot of any data that appears for the UPS item.

TrippLiteUPS_USBInstance.png

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Thanks. It correctly identifies the UPS, but offers no additional data. I was hoping the OS might identify the device class and assign it some kind of generic UPS profile, but that doesn't seem to be so.

I expect the only way forward on this is a direct contact with the manufacturer.

johnnyOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
I have contacted the UPS manufacturer. They replied back with "have you replaced the batteries?" which is insulting. The UPS still works fine when connected to an older Mac - readings are correct in Energy Saver control panel so this actually looks like an Apple issue. Similar issues are being reported in other forums.

Apple stackexchange
Apple Discussions

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Also a topic on this site:

johnnyOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
I have contacted Apple support about this issue. They are looking into it. The Tripp Lite UPS I have works fine on an older iMac running High Sierra and fails in the same way (reading 0% battery) on several newer Macs, all Ventura OS or newer (including an Intel). So it appears that there is either a bug in more recent OS’s or Apple (ungracefully) dropped support for an older protocol along the way. Hopefully we’ll see an update that fixes this.

johnnyOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2024
I have contacted Apple support about this issue. They are looking into it. The Tripp Lite UPS I have works fine on an older iMac running High Sierra and fails in the same way (reading 0% battery) on several newer Macs, all Ventura OS or newer (including an Intel). So it appears that there is either a bug in more recent OS’s or Apple (ungracefully) dropped support for an older protocol along the way. Hopefully we’ll see an update that fixes this.
Apple Support reports that “I should contact the device manufacturer and ask them to provide an updated device driver.” I interpret that as Apple has dropped support the old UPS protocol and is not planning to add that support back into MacOS.

I have not heard back from Tripp Lite since the initial useless response they gave. I conclude that this issue will not be corrected by either company.

Finally, I asked Apple Support to at least consider modifying the OS behavior in responding to unsupported equipment in a more graceful manner. IMO it is poor form to report erroneous information when they should be able to recognize and identify these devices as unsupported and let users know that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.