Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
When booted to Snow Leopard, there is no AdminShare for the boot volume. The other volume (for High Sierra) is admin shared.

Manually checking the "Shared folder" checkbox for this drive does not help.
I've repaired permissions on the drive. This did not help.

It's not the client side; I confirmed the missing share on the server side via smbutil view //$USER@$HOSTNAME

I have checked everything I can think of, in user-accessible settings and in the hidden configuration files in the /private/etc folder. I have even disabled and re-enabled VirtualAdminShare just in case that helps (it didn't). I don't know what else to check.

This is via SMB, not AFP.

Does ANYONE know what the hell is wrong??

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
No. It's the default behavior of Mac OS, when SMB file sharing is enabled. When someone with an administrator account logs in, they see everything an administrator would see on the local machine, not just the things manually chosen to be shared.

There are two volumes on the drive. Only one (the primary) is missing when viewed from another machine. The other volume shows up as expected, when VirtualAdminShares is enabled (default), and disappears when VirtualAdminShares is disabled (NOT the default).

The problem here is the server side: only ONE of these volumes is being given a default SMB admin share, and I cannot find any explanation for this. I also cannot share the drive manually.

Everything works normally when this machine is booted into High Sierra... sort of (I have MASSIVE system instability now with High Sierra, and I don't know why; it's been installed via DOSDude1's installer hacks/patches, but it worked great for a year before everything started failing, including SMB... but that's not what I am asking about on this thread... but that is why I have been motivated to solve this issue because I need to run this machine with Snow Leopard to verify the hardware works, which it seems to do fine).

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Here is a page with more info about VirtualAdmindShares. It seems to be rare info in the wild.

This is how I know what the intended behavior is, and executing smbutil view //$USER@$HOSTNAME in Terminal shows me that one of the share points is missing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.